Best way to read Trans Temps while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
It's on the OBD2 data stream. The Aeroforce Interceptor will work but ensure you get one that works with your model year. The gauge that worked fine on my 2007 5.4 V8 did not work well on my 2017 3.5 V6. I gifted it to another member here but don't recall his success (if he ever told me). My first generation gauge did not dim so I had red LEDs installed to prevent blinding me at night. I Velcroed it to the dash so I could just put it on when towing but in practice it never moved off the dash for years.

When towing my 6000 pound hybrid I'd set mine to display trans temp and cylinder temp. The gauge will auto scroll thru as many parameters as you want including current gear and transmission slip.

-- Chuck

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go up to your local auto parts store and get a Scan Gauge II

I've used it in multiple vehicles and it works great

Reaction score
you are using the wrong PID I had the same problem

don't use TRANS TEMP use TRANS FLUID TEMP

drove me crazy until I figured this out

I don't have that on my version. I only have Method 1 and Method 2... Could it be something different between the EL and MAX (US vs Canada)?

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do you have the Ford custom PIDs loaded? You need to do that separately from what I recall. But its in the program, nothing else to download off the internet

I could look at mine and provide more detail if you cant figure it out

Last edited:

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Transmission temperature was Trans Temp 2 on my Interceptor scan gauge. It was specifically custom programmed into the early generation gauge at their lab with a computer reading the OBD2 data. They added it to the EPROM. Transmission slip is actually analog and never shows zero (0) just a number in the 0-3 or 4 range. The '07 transmission locked up immediately which was nice to know. (No tow/haul option then.)

I was always going to fit this scan gauge into a pillar gauge pod but never did.

BTW, towing my 6000 pound travel trailer with the HD towing package in my '07 never saw the transmission temp much above 200°F so checking it was merely of interest not importance. Same thing with my '17 where trans temp shows on the dash display. Nothing more severe than Pennsylvania and West Virginia mountains.

- Chuck

sion-fluid-life-expectancy-transmission-repair-guy.png

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tow a 5000lb boat and I have never hit 200f I agree its just interesting and nice to know

another interesting value I look at while towing is engine load %

Deesko

Reaction score
I use an older version of this programmer by Edge. Probably pricier than some of the other options here but I also picked mine up on sale somewhere for 60% off the list price for this one, so it was a much better deal.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ege-85450

I use my 2010 for towing a 33ft travel trailer that runs around 6000lbs and don't think I've ever seen my tranny temps go above 190, even towing in the summer. Actually heading out for a trip Friday so I'll keep a closer eye on it and see how it fairs in our "mountains".

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tow a 5000lb boat and I have never hit 200f I agree its just interesting and nice to know

another interesting value I look at while towing is engine load %
I've hit 201 degrees on a long highway trip without towing anything. It seems to be the norm for my truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger