Big Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Terrible front end bounce at any moving speed, including reverse and 4wd High and 4wd Low.

Front end is also very stiff and will not bulge when trying to bounce on it while it is parked.

This all started directly after replacing driver side CV axle. Used the original axle nut as well as the one it came with, still have the problem.

It also seems that my upper control arms are rubbing on the frame, but if this is the problem, then how could it have happened so suddenly just after sitting in the driveway and having the axle replaced?
The axle nut has been torqued to 150LBS and 175LBS

Working on putting the original busted axle back in to see if I purchased a defective one.

EDIT: After replacing the new CV axle with my OEM one, the problem seized.

Does anybody know of a good brand or where to purchase an axle where this problem won't occur?

Last edited:
OP
OP
NC-Expy

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where and how are the upper control arms rubbing ? :think:
Any pics ?

OK, so on the passenger side with the good CV axle, the control arm is touching the frame and rides fine.

The side with the bad CV axle (driver side) the control arm touches the fame as well.

When I replaced the bad CV axle with the "new" one (defective) the control arm raised and was no longer touching the frame, and I'm lead to believe that this is what was causing the insane bouncing while moving.

After I replaced the "new" CV axle with my old (broken) one, the control arm went back down (touching the frame) and the sever bouncing stopped completely.

I honestly have no clue if the upper control arms are supposed to touch the frame, nor how/why this would have anything to do with the truck having a stiff front suspension and bouncing up and down whenever moving at any speed... But I do know that I have a CV axle with a split boot that needs to be replaced, and I do not want the same problem to happen again, so does anybody have any suggestions as to where/what brand of CV axle assembly to buy?

I replaced my passenger side one not too long ago but can't remember the brand, but no issues on that side so far. (knockin' on wood...)

Oh yeah, I put my gap guards on today... big difference, looks better! :shocked:

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know when I did my CV joints (cheap remans from O'Reilly) the new ones were a lot stiffer and little play compared to the old ones. I wouldnt think that would be enough to raise the truck though...? Let alone make the front end much more stiff. Problem you are having sounds very strange indeed. I cannot think of any brands off the top of my head, but the ones I got from O'Reilly have worked very well so far. I just looked and Moog doesn't make them. Good luck...

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might sound weird but maybe the cv shaft is to long, putting outward pressure on the knuckle and changing the realation to the control arm???:fishing1:for an idea.

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Might sound weird but maybe the cv shaft is to long, putting outward pressure on the knuckle and changing the realation to the control arm???:fishing1:for an idea.

I was thinking the same thing??? I still don't get where the control arm hits the frame?