big wheels=big smiles... but what about at the pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

callee11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys running 20" and above rims... what did it do to your fuel milage?... I would like to get some 20's this winter just curious what changes might come

JTKustoms

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i cant see 20's hurting you too badly, i mean of course it will impact the milage slightly because of the extra rotating mass but i dont think it will be too major. I'm running 26's on mine right now and get around 9-10mpg, thats with driving her easy for the most part

OP
OP
callee11

callee11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I didn't think 20's would be too bad I was just curious... bigger wheels then that look really cool its just not for me... I don't want to spend a months wages on a wheel if I were to hit a curb by accident haha

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you also have to take the amount of rubber into account. if you buy 20's with rubber-band tires, it shouldnt affect your mileage too bad. but if you throw some meat on those 20's, you can expect single digits!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im on 24's...but i have a K&N intake, flowmaster exhuast, and superchips vortex 1950 programmer with 3 settings...the best thing you can do to maintain...in your case improve you mpg is to buy a programmer to allow you to calibrate/adjust your computer to having larger wheels/tires...stock wheels/tires are like 26 inches tall...my 24's are 32.5 but i set the computer at 32.75...i like the tighter feel of the brakes at this setting and i also have GAS Saver setting for the computer...so i get great mileage...i've heard that the dealership can do this as well...not sure...but i would advise in investing in a programmer...and you can always return to stock settings with a programmer...its all plug and play...takes less than 5 mins to get new setting and your off...

OP
OP
callee11

callee11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok cool thanks for all the info guys... I think some 20's will b worth a little loss in mpg..... and I do have a superchipps programmer a guy gave me but its vin locked.... trying to get it unlocked now.... super chips said they would do it for $99 but damn lol

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm averaging about 12 in the city and 13s on the highway.... can almost get 14 on long trips.... so there are ways to help get some mileage back... and biggest thing is I baby it while driving

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got 20's but there wrapped in 35" of rubber so it hit the MPG alittle but get a programmer and you'll be fine. Also really it's the way you drive, that counts the most. So keep your foot in it!!:flamingdevil: If you do want to have more fun.:pepper: