Bigger trans cooler?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hurseyc

Reaction score
Greetings everyone.

On my 2010 limited 4x4 I have a 5 row transmission cooler in front of the radiator.

Does anyone know if there were bigger cooler options? The bracket looks like it was literally made for something twice the size of the current cooler.

I’m going to be doing some towing later this summer and am looking for some options for better trans cooling.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Technically you can buy an aftermarket cooler (plenty online and your local auto parts stores sell them) they come in a wide array of sizes and thicknesses too. the good thing about it is it's already preinstalled on your expy so all you have to do is mount the physical cooler itself and reconnect the hoses.

Seen people zip tie them in place, others actually fabricated custom brackets... its nothing that you'll loose any sleep over just in the end you have to compensate by adding a little more atf for a bigger cooler

OP
OP
H

hurseyc

Reaction score
Technically you can buy an aftermarket cooler (plenty online and your local auto parts stores sell them) they come in a wide array of sizes and thicknesses too. the good thing about it is it's already preinstalled on your expy so all you have to do is mount the physical cooler itself and reconnect the hoses.

Seen people zip tie them in place, others actually fabricated custom brackets... its nothing that you'll loose any sleep over just in the end you have to compensate by adding a little more atf for a bigger cooler

Yep that’s one of the options I’m looking at. With that stock cooler right in the middle of the radiator it’ll make a tight fit for an aftermarket model. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ditched my factory cooler for a marginally larger Hayden cooler. Then after routinely watching trans temps get over 200 degrees with that cooler, I installed the transmission cooler that the 6.0l diesel uses. It's massive. I haven't seen the temp over about 185-190. Before I'd see 210 while driving around in the city in the summer (not towing) with the AC on. Now it only warms up while actually straining the transmission: climbing mountains passes and slow moving 4wheeling.

5D729D79-05D7-4EDD-9520-7B2C45CDE4AE.jpg

It's probably not a bolt in install though. I had to get creative with how to mount it.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I ditched my factory cooler for a marginally larger Hayden cooler. Then after routinely watching trans temps get over 200 degrees with that cooler, I installed the transmission cooler that the 6.0l diesel uses. It's massive. I haven't seen the temp over about 185-190. Before I'd see 210 while driving around in the city in the summer (not towing) with the AC on. Now it only warms up while actually straining the transmission: climbing mountains passes and slow moving 4wheeling.

It's probably not a bolt in install though. I had to get creative with how to mount it.

Add your own fan and you could put it anywhere. Just run the fluid lines and power.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just grab a 7 row cooler from a 12+ expy and plumb it into your existing 5 row cooler. Cost a couple bucks at the scrap yard and if you can pull it yourself, cut some extra transmission line/tube from the donor vehicle so you'll have the materials to join them together. Remember the transmission is thermostatically controlled and won't let fluid into the cooler until 185 anyway, no way of changing that.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since I added the 6.0l cooler, my transmission rarely gets over 150. If it does get warmer, it doesn’t stay there long. With the old cooler, the only way to cool it down was to shut the engine off.

My transmission temps are read through an OBDII reader.

OP
OP
H

hurseyc

Reaction score
Excellent info. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm still trying to release the Ford "quick-connect" fittings on my 2008 trans lines so I can install a stock cooler...

First Gen '97and how I did it for reference as technology has greatly improved.

I used a tubing cutter then used rubber hoses to make final connections with small screw clamps into a B&M trans assembly filter (uses a Fram PH8) in addition to the oversized trans pan. Didn't have to remove quick connects. I see 150*, sometimes 165* during this hot time of year during city driving with AC on. Once at constant speed, generally below 150*. I winter time, just a smidge over 100*.

My gauge sender is mounted on the driver's side of the trans using the inspection port. Factory equipped stock trans cooler which is mounted separate from and below the radiator adjacent to the oil cooler at the big opening on either side of the front license plate.

View media item 1188
View media item 1184
034a.JPG

View media item 1175
034a.JPG

Last edited: