Biggest tires 17in wheels stock Expedition.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I knwo this has probably been asked but my google searches are only hitting 18s 20s and other gen expeditions. Basically Im not ready for tires but would like to start shopping around just in case the wife gives the almighty blessing. Will be going AT and looking for a better selection then 265/70/17. Thanks yall!

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
we've run Nitto 295/70R17 and BFG AT 285/70R17s on our company ones. They are loaded much heavier than yours but use the rear air suspension and none have had issues with rubbing.

Waylap

Reaction score
I put 33/12/17 Dick Cepek mud country on mine (I think it's roughly the same as 285/70/17. Check tirebuyer dot com for some great prices and free shipping. I think mine were around $900 or so total and it's a tank now. A beast!

OP
OP
A

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
we've run Nitto 295/70R17 and BFG AT 285/70R17s on our company ones. They are loaded much heavier than yours but use the rear air suspension and none have had issues with rubbing.

I have had mine to capacity quite a few times but I dont have the air ride. But I will def look into 285 70 17 Opens alot more doors the the factory size.

I put 33/12/17 Dick Cepek mud country on mine (I think it's roughly the same as 285/70/17. Check tirebuyer dot com for some great prices and free shipping. I think mine were around $900 or so total and it's a tank now. A beast!

Ill check that site out and compare to others. Not sure Ill be going with mud terrains but I def am considering the goodyear duratracs cause they are in between MT and AT, but Im having a hard time finding e rated in the right size. So Ill probably end up with grabber AT2 in the stock size. No biggie and might be for the better with 3.31 gears.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just noticed you are running 3.31s with those gears I would highly advise you stick with stock size and weight tire. All our expeditions are ordered with 3.73s (if they are not ELs). I've had a expedition as a loaner with 3.31s (well more than one) and they are a freaking DOG and even with 2wd spinning lighter and smaller tires than mine EL 4x4 with a packrat in the back). I thought the expeditions were bad with 3.73s but the 3.31s were aweful, heck I am not even sure how ford can say they will move 15,000 lbs. No lie one of our F-550 4x4 service trucks almost pulled away from me getting on the highway and he was at 19,200 lbs.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
goodyear duratracs

worst tire ever put on one of our trucks. lasted a whooping 20K miles and was chunking out and heal toeing on a properly aligned truck. They are also lack luster off highway, worse than the Nitto Terra grappler to give you an idea.

OP
OP
A

andrew_s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just noticed you are running 3.31s with those gears I would highly advise you stick with stock size and weight tire. All our expeditions are ordered with 3.73s (if they are not ELs). I've had a expedition as a loaner with 3.31s (well more than one) and they are a freaking DOG and even with 2wd spinning lighter and smaller tires than mine EL 4x4 with a packrat in the back). I thought the expeditions were bad with 3.73s but the 3.31s were aweful, heck I am not even sure how ford can say they will move 15,000 lbs. No lie one of our F-550 4x4 service trucks almost pulled away from me getting on the highway and he was at 19,200 lbs.

Hmm thats weird I towed a 5000lbs jeep filled to the brim with stuff so over 6500lbs and it was like nothing was behind me and I have couple hundred pounds in tools and gear and had a passenger. IMHO not a dog.

Either way once money is better Id love to get 3.73 as I do more city type driving then highway so Im not getting the best mileage I could be. Wonder if they make a detroit true trac for these trucks...

worst tire ever put on one of our trucks. lasted a whooping 20K miles and was chunking out and heal toeing on a properly aligned truck. They are also lack luster off highway, worse than the Nitto Terra grappler to give you an idea.

Yeah I almost immediately thought twice but not due to mileage but application. Im still in a jeep mindset and dont know why Id ever need such an aggressive tire on my expedition. Most likely Ill get grabber at2s or rugged terrain or BFG ATs.

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you want cheaper AT's check out treadwright.com

WarrenG

Reaction score
I have a chance to get some nice chrome 17" wheels with BFG 315/70R17 for my expy. I have a 3' leveling kit on her will these tires rub? They where on a F150.

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a chance to get some nice chrome 17" wheels with BFG 315/70R17 for my expy. I have a 3' leveling kit on her will these tires rub? They where on a F150.

Not with a 3' leveling kit, I'd be more worried about the headlights in the trees. :flamingdevil: