Blend Door Actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-04Expedition

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Eddie Bauer Expedition. Replaced the upper blend door actuator. Now, lower actuator is toast. Removed center console, loosened duct work, but could get enough play to actually pull the actuator. To those that cut the ductwork, how/where did you make your cuts? And how did you repair the cuts? Duct tape?

Really have no interest in pulling the dash to make this repair... Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
I know this post was put on here a long time ago but I wanted to add a little bit of information for anyone that might try and tackle this job.
IT IS DO-ABLE!
The dealerships wanted $850 to take all of it apart and replace the lower door actuator blend door motor that controls the temperature for the driver's side of a dual zone climate control system.
In their process they say they have to remove the heater core and empty the coolant then reclaim the refrigerant from the AC. They say the dashboard has to be removed.
I was able to do everything but did not remove the heater core nor reclaim the refrigerant.
The key to doing this job is patience and time. I did remove the dashboard along with the steering wheel. I did not remove the steering wheel separate from the dashboard. Once the dashboard was removed I loosened the bolts and nuts that hold the entire air duct box to the firewall. There is one out on the engine and a couple on the inside. You will see them when you get in there.
Once these were loosened the air duct box was able to move enough that I could get a socket on the last of the 4 screws (it's located up against the firewall and out of site at first) that hold the bottom duct on which is what is in the way of removing the driver's blend door actuator motor.
It was a breeze.
You will need help removing the dashboard as it is awkward and heavy but it can be pulled off and laid on the 2 front seats with no problem.
I just wanted to let you know it is doable and you don't have to spend $850 at the dealership.
If I can do it You can too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65