blend door where?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2011 XLT with dual zones. With AC on driver side gets cold but passenger side will not change from hot. I know about the one behind the radio but doesn't that one control driver side. Where is the one for the passenger side? Thanks.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have the manual for the 2011 year but I do for the 2010 and looking at the prints the passenger side temp actuator is located above the drivers side temp actuator

Looks like it is on top of the housing

Hope that helps

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you talking about the one behind the radio? That one is labeled rh unit, I guess when standing in front of truck. They show the lh unit on page 412-01-46 of the 2011 manual. But I am having trouble locating where that is.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Left hand is drivers side Right hand is passenger side

Since you have the manual go into the wiring diagrams and look at the section for the Automatic Climate Control System Section 55

Then look at page 55-2 Look on the right side of that page you will see the wiring for the Temp blend doors there is a reference to page 151-45 Look at that page it may give you a better idea

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I have verified that the one behind the radio is the one that controls the passenger side. Fix should not be too bad. Hope I never have to replace the one on the bottom.

I have known that these have a history of problems. I have always limited how much I change the temp. Once for winter and once for summer and it still got me

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I have verified that the one behind the radio is the one that controls the passenger side. Fix should not be too bad. Hope I never have to replace the one on the bottom.

I have known that these have a history of problems. I have always limited how much I change the temp. Once for winter and once for summer and it still got me

I haven't done the one behind the radio, but word is that it takes less than 1 hour if accessed from behind the radio. The one on the bottom is a serious ***** to do properly, but I did see a YouTube video in which the guy removed the trim panel and then cut a hole behind the trim panel, which made the job go pretty quickly. As much as I hate to fudge things like that, I think I could live with it considering the labor savings and fact that the shortcut hole will be hidden behind the trim.

Denethor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just a question since I don't see it in your posts. Do you get the clicking noise in the dash when changing from hot to cold on the passenger side or just that it never switches? The actual or could have just failed, without the common tooth slipping noise, but it could also be something fell in to the vents and is blocking the blend door from moving properly.

OP
OP
S

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I heard the dreaded clicking about a month ago. None since then and passenger side temp wont change. So I think maybe a tooth broke and is jammed. I am going to make sure the blend door moves freely before I put in the new actuator.

Paul Foy

Reaction score
I just changed my passenger one out this weekend on my 2010 Limited 4WD. It is located behind the radio. Cost about $21 with my military discount from O'Reilly's. The hard part was squeezing my right arm through the metal brackets to get to the back screw from the glove box compartment. The new part was much thicker which made it even harder to screw in because you could not see the screw head. Did it by feel only. I have numerous cuts on both hands but it was worth saving all that money the dealer would have charged me.