bowden cables for window mechanism

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gentlemen, one of the bowden cables that operates the front passenger window just broke (I opened the unit and the inner steel cable has gone rusty and broke) so the window will not open/close, I made a new cable and fitted it, the window is working fine but all the bowden cables look a little tired (the car is 12 years old!!). I was wondering if anyone knew if Ford sold just the cables or if I have to buy a complete window kit? Is there any after market company that sells replacement cables for the front windows?

Thanks for all suggestions and ideas.

Gary

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah it's a known problem with these, most just replace the entire window regulator. I did on my 08, pass side. wasn't too bad. went with the dorman part on recommendation from fordtechmakuloco on youtube.

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, I found a couple of complete window regulator kits and was surprised how reasonable the price was, some are $50 the Dorman looked to be very similar to the original part. I think I will wait until another cable brakes and then order the Dorman part also. A couple of Bowden cables would have been cheaper, but $100 per window is not too bad for the Dorman kit, the window breaking is only the third thing to fail on this Expedition in 12 years and 160,000 miles (coolant hose started to leak at a T junction, then the driver side extending step failed and now a cable in the window mechanism front passenger side).

Gary