Mechanical noise from center console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay peeps, my 08 expedition limited runs fine, but I recently turned off the radio and realized I have a constant mechanical whirring noise (sounds like an electric motor that is constantly changing direction). My first thought was that it was the DVD reader in the navigation trying to read the CD and having trouble so it was hunting. However after I put my head near the brake/accelerator pedals, the sound is coming from somewhere closer to the floor below the radio. I suspect it’s the blender door that is misbehaving and just constantly opening then closing, then opening. If I turn the automatic temp control off, the sound seems to stop after a while.. I suspect it is going to be a nightmare to get to the motor unit and see if that is the issue (and fix it). So I wanted to ask if anyone on here has had a similar issue? What goes wrong and just how difficult is it to fix? Or should I just live with it?

thanks Gary

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Blend doors typically make a clicking noise when failed. Is it possible that something fell into a defroster port and may be blocking the door? My 2011 was relatively easy, but there tight areas with limited access. I would suggest removing the radio and try to verify what is making the noise. You should be able to get a finger in there to feel while it's buzzing. Here is a YouTube video that should help. FordTechMakuloco is very reputable and supplies good information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFA57sTEtLU&pp=ygUYMDggRXhwZWRpdGlvbiBibGVuZCBkb29y