Brake upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Ford Expo XLT, looking to do a brake job soon, is there a heavy duty rotor and brake pad upgrade for our trucks?

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can buy EBC or similar. If you want OE you can be the severe service pads. Rotors are the same on the severe service trucks.

Don't buy the cheap drilled rotors they crack very easy since they are just junk rotors with holes drilled in them no backing support for the now weakened spots. Also make sure to do a fin count on the discs you are buying, if they have fewer than stock ditch them quick they are again junk rotors.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks, when it comes to breaks I know I need to spend money. I'm guessing you get the severe pads and rotors from ford?

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you read my post you will see that the rotors are the same between all expeditions however the pads are either standard or Severe service. Severe service are available at the dealership or from online.

If you are also looking for improved feel I'd swap out the rubber lines for SS.

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i have ebc yellow stuff pads, running on brakemotive drilled/slotted rotors.
i previously had stock pads, and those glazed up real quick, i now have 15k on the pads, and 20k on the rotors. no issues with my "cheap" drilled/slotted rotors. the ebc yellow stuff pads made all the difference in the world in terms of stopping power, and feel.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you just doing daily driving? Cause I'm looking for an upgrade due to we use ours to pull a travel trailer.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went with stock replacement rotors and ceramic pads this last time. Drilled and slotted rotors have less material to transfer heat. Since I tow I want all the material possible to transfer the heat. And before anyone thinks I'm completely against drilled/slotted rotors I have them on both Mustangs.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but the slot...drilled...slot/drilled are designed to dissipate the heat quickly...

rayt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you just doing daily driving? Cause I'm looking for an upgrade due to we use ours to pull a travel trailer.

i don't tow sorry. Just a lot of crazy stop and go in NYC. To the point where my oem pads/rotors have glazed up....

montecarlo31

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i don't tow sorry. Just a lot of crazy stop and go in NYC. To the point where my oem pads/rotors have glazed up....

That's actually easier on brakes then the south, try driving in Houston, Phoenix, Dallas, Tampa, Miami, Orlando. These areas frequent the same heavy stop and go traffic but at significantly higher ambient temps and at significantly higher speeds. Having living in NY, TX and FL I can tell you it was rare that I was in stop and go traffic where it would go from 80 to 0 then stop and go back to 80 then back to stop and go. That heat cycles the rotors quite severely.

For those who believe cheap cross drilled rotors hold up do some research and come back.....A quality cross drilled rotor will have a completely different look and feel than the cheap ones. You think the cross drilled on MB BMW Audi are the same quality as the chinese crap from napa, amazon or ebay?

dangerous-cdr2.jpg

Dangerous cross drilled rotors - EBC Brakes