Brake upgrades - Disable ABS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Alright, I was able to pinpoint my brake issues.
I knew they never felt right, despite the fact was my first large heavy vehicle ever owned, and was unsure of normal stopping characteristics of something this large.

The problem definitely stems from the vehicles ABS.
I have never seen a problem like this before, where the ABS poses a serious safety risk. I'm surprised this issue is not well known either.

Basically the ABS is total trash, even though it works perfectly fine.
When ABS engages, the vehicle cannot f***ing stop. You literally lose something like 50% of the stopping power you once had. Unbelievable. No other vehicle I had ever driven has done this.
You are NOT supposed to lose your stopping power this way, especially when you need it the most. I can't imagine any manufacturer getting away with this. I suspect this is not just an issue with Fords. Hitting the brakes hard only makes things worse. Losing so much stopping power to prevent your wheels from locking up is *immensely* stupid.
ABS shouldn't even really exist. Before ABS was standard, I had never locked my wheels even in emergency situations where I have almost rear ended people as a teenager, or needed to react extremely quickly to prevent collision. I can't even imagine who would simply just slam on their brakes as hard as they can even in an emergency. Like some mindless elk. If it's too late for you to stop, then ABS will certainly not save you. Controlling your own brakes and keeping them from locking has always been second nature, yes, even in an emergency. I clearly remember this in the 90s. I am still capable of doing this today. The vast, VAST, majority of people are.

How do I disable my ABS?
These trucks need it the most :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
and0r

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Whoever was able to force the industry to adopt ABS made a very stupid mistake. This person did not have a firm grasp on real world engineering.

Yes, I'm sure this large SUV can easily lose traction on the road, easier than most cars would. But manual braking is still much safer than this pathetic ABS.

Where is the option to disable ABS?

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How often does your ABS engage? Mine only engages in the snow/ice. Never on dry pavement.

And I run high coefficient brake pads.

Maybe you have a collapsed brake line or stuck caliper.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off if an Abs brake system is functioning properly, with pump, sensors, and computer, it does not detract from your braking one bit. If you want to take your chances disarming your system, and try to stop a 6,000 pound rolling brick, well god speed go to you brother. We're trying to school you how to fix your brakes, but you won't listen! Theirs steps to go through in diagnosing your brakes. Good luck to you, I'm going to back away from this one.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tell me how a proper functioning Abs system is going to take longer to stop. Test after test, repeatedly shows a significant shorter stopping distance. The computer senses wheel lockup, and repeatedly re applies braking action to the remaining 3 wheels until a millisecond later, back to all 4 again. I grew up driving, and working on drum brakes, and even non Abs disc brakes. You can't beat a proper functioning 4 wheel abs setup. I speak from experience. I've driven pretty much every vehicle from Ford model A, to a 600 horsepower plus Corvette. Except for a concours original, show car, I'll take Abs/ disc any day!

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tell me how a proper functioning Abs system is going to take longer to stop.
On dry road, it won't. In snow/ice conditions it can, but only marginally, since dragging a wheel over snow provides more stopping force than a free-spinning wheel, which is what you end up with in those milliseconds since the tires have so little traction and the brakes have to open up so significantly to get the wheel to spin again.

Still, ABS is safer in every way.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That was my point. If you guys had to drive the tanks, that I did, and try slowing a 4-5 thousand pound car with misadjusted non power drum brakes! Your better off throwing out an anchor. So many accidents are averted these days, because of Abs brakes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69