Broke bolt for coil pack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use the Dremel to cut a slot in it then just use a flathead screwdriver to remove. It shouldn't be that big of a deal if you cut a little into the part surrounding the bolt. I've had good luck doing it like this.

Victor

Done this too!

OP
OP
A

Am3gross

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought about doing this, but I thinki would have to remove the fuel rail that sits there... Honestly I am battling my laziness right now.... If I wanted it out I am sure I could get it out... But the truck runs and drives better then what it did before I started the job... I think I will jb weld another screw to the top of the intake and then just use a nut to tighten it down...

sinacle1

Reaction score
I did the same to mine about 4 years ago. I wound up squishing 2, 1/2" or 3/4" hoses cut to about 1" lengths with zip ties holding them together and zip tied them to my fuel rail over top of my coil to hold it down. I keep telling myself I'm going to fix it, but after 4 years, a tune up, and new coil packs it still works.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since you've already done some "work" to it, this may no longer be an option. Take a centerpunch and a hammer and tap towards the outer edge of the screw at an angle and try to walk it around. I've done it with number 10 screws and it's worked great. Especially because it broke while installing and you said it wasn't tight (as aposed to siezed in the hole and broke on the way out).

Cacique

Reaction score
screw bolt #6 coil broke off and now broken intake

My 1998 Ford Expedition 5.4L Eddie Bauer SUV started misfiring. A few years back it had same problem and since had only replaced faulty ignition coils # 1 and 4 (passenger side). This time around I decided to buy all 8 "IGNITION COIL ON PLUGS" and all 8 "MOTORCRAFT SPARK PLUGS". As always, the most difficult side to do is the passenger side, coils 1 thru 4. After removing the air filter assembly, disconnecting a few hoses and lifting with a rope the ones I could not disconnect, followed by removing the two screws of the fuel line and lifting it out as high as possible with a rope line, I was ready to start. Removed and replaced all coil on plugs and spark plugs with no problems. Successfully put everything back together. Then went on to the driver's side to do the same on coils 5 (front) thru 8 (firewall). Cleared some hoses and did same with fuel rail. Coils 5, 7 and 8 came out without a hitch. Discovered that coil on plug # 6 was broken in two pieces. Was somewhat difficult to remove but finally did so. Inserted the remaining 4 spark plugs, then followed with inserting the "coil on plugs" to each. All screws tighten securely the coil plugs in place. However, coil on plug # 6 only went in partially in, leaving the coil on plug moving freely. MY grandson helped me through the process under my supervision of course as His smaller hands were better able to reach. I then jumped in to see what was the problem. I started tightening but the screw seemed to just spin until, SNAP! It broke off, leaving a stud out. I tried unscrewing it out with a vice-grip. Ended up just breaking the tip off. I then had to use my broken screw extractor kit but if failed. Drilled a hole in the center of the screw which finally went through it. I then used the extractor with no success. Decided to leave the extractor bit in place and try turning it with a vice-grip. Made it worst. The aluminum intake where screw goes into, broke off a piece. So now my only option is to just leave the coil in place dangling in place or buy a new intake. Gave up after 9 hours working on this. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt putting a screw through the coil on ignition with a washer and another washer in the bottom and tighten with a nut to see if I can tighten down the coil on plug. I'm crossing my fingers and hope it works.

JDMarley

Reaction score
Where can I get a new ignition coil screw for a 1997 Expedition? Can't seem to find a part number anywhere for 1st Gen.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where can I get a new ignition coil screw for a 1997 Expedition? Can't seem to find a part number anywhere for 1st Gen.
You know this is about an eleven year old thread right ?
The coil bolts are M5 x 27mm and you can get them on Amazon or eBay, or the dealer, or Home Depot, etc ...

Ford Coil Retention Bolts on eBay

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just for future reference ....
Pull the intake off. Spray some Liquid Wrench on the broken bolt. Use a left hand drill bit to drill a hole into the broken bolt. If it doesn't come out while you're drilling you can use an extractor in the hole to screw it out.

Left Hand Drill Bit Set on Amazon