Broken spark plug; Lisle tool will not remove plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was changing the plugs on my 07 Expedition today and while doing the passenger side, I managed to have a broken plug that the Lisle tool does not want to remove. I broke two other plugs and the tool was successful at removing them. I have changed plugs in an 06 Explorer with the tool and was successful as well.

My first thought was that the bottom end of plug dropped down into the cylinder. I took a new plug and tried to thread it to see if it was indeed in the cylinder and it doesnt thread. So.. I guess that is a good thing.

For whatever reason, the damn tool doesn't want to dig in and bite onto the sleeve that is stuck. Anyone have this issue? It is also on #4 passenger side. Why couldnt it have been #1??

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bought a new tool thinking threads on old tool were worn out. New tool does not get it out either. Damn damn damn

Jdm5630

Reaction score
Have you tried threading the silver tube with a ratchet? I know that helped me when i couldnt take minw out.

OP
OP
jruppert

jruppert

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am sorry but I dont quite follow. When I run the tool to push the porceleim further in, the top portion threads in easily and bottoms out. I take it out and put in the round aluminum piece. I put in the threaded tool and turn counter clockwise. It just spins.. It doesnt grab- doesnt do anything but spin. I thought my threads werent sharp enough so I bought another tool. I get the same results. I spray fluid into the plug area and it holds fluid so something is there. I try to put a new plug in and it just spins. So that tells me the piece is still there.

I just cant get it out!! :025:

WCAWI

Reaction score
We ran into one that did this. We tried everything and a new tool like you. Ended with the head coming off. Its extremely rare for the bottom part of the plug to push too far down into the head to retrieve.