burning or hot smell from engine area...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know I need to do a radiator flush still (maybe twice) but does anyone think the burned or hot rubber smell that comes from the motor area is caused from my bad water in the cooling system (that's been sitting for 12+ months)? & all the garbage that settled to the bottom is now getting circulated thru the radiator?

I know the overflow container smells like sewer water! (very nasty)

Figure the bad water is heating up faster than clean water, causing the smell... Even though the engine temp gauge is well within range... (even when the car runs for only 10 minutes or so...)

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I need to do a radiator flush still (maybe twice) but does anyone think the burned or hot rubber smell that comes from the motor area is caused from my bad water in the cooling system (that's been sitting for 12+ months)? & all the garbage that settled to the bottom is now getting circulated thru the radiator?

I know the overflow container smells like sewer water! (very nasty)

Figure the bad water is heating up faster than clean water, causing the smell... Even though the engine temp gauge is well within range... (even when the car runs for only 10 minutes or so...)

it could be that or maybe a critter got in there and moved some wires or hoses around or even the critter itself.

nitrostangracing

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very possible. The contaminated water can give off an odor once heated. Look under the truck and check to see if you ran over a plastic bag and it is just burning off.

ScottyDsntKnow

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slipping belt is the first thing that would come to mind or a hose is touching something it shouldn't... How are your brakes? Stuck or dragging brake can smell absolutely terrible just like a burning clutch.

Regardless you should not be running the engine with junk flying all throughout the cooling system. I would drain and flush the system out immediately.

OP
OP
designit

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Slipping belt is the first thing that would come to mind or a hose is touching something it shouldn't... How are your brakes? Stuck or dragging brake can smell absolutely terrible just like a burning clutch.

Regardless you should not be running the engine with junk flying all throughout the cooling system. I would drain and flush the system out immediately.

I have all the power in the motor & if it 'was' a slipping belt, wouldn't it be safe to assume it would have to be in a continuous state of slip to make a smell on such short drives around the block (I'm not exactly sure?)

I've checked hoses but I'll need to check again & for cry'in out loud, it's been pouring rain here for like the last 6 months... I can't get a dry evening or weekend long enough to dive into brakes... Very possible I could have some rubbing... one thing at at time I guess, starting with the easiest at this point, which would be radiator 'super' flush...

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What sucks about these smells, by the time you find out what the burning its, its too late:rotflmao:

Good luck and keep us posted