Buying Used - point me in the right direction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daveandthe6

Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my 2003 Eddie Bauer with a 2018+ limited with 302a package or platinum. Cost difference looks to be around $3-4K between the two but not sure what I would be gaining with the upgrade. Is it worth it to upgrade to the platinum? Also I do some towing not much. How important is the HD tow package? Anything else I need to avoid or look out for? Appreciate the help.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most of the price difference goes to the interior/exterior aesthetics and the massaging front seats. They will ride about the same, the platty will be slightly quieter due to noise cancelation, but the expy is already quiet except for bad roads and weather really.

I do wish when I had gotten mine I got a platty mainly because the ccd(which is on 302 ltd) but also because my wife liked the massage feature and we actually needed it due to us getting in an accident with it then having to drive 27 hrs with minor back issues. However, looking back, I would've been content with the ltd 302 as well.

As far as the HD tow pkg, many members on here are staunch supporters of the pkg as it adds many features to increase the life of the drivetrain, not just for better towing. If your not towing anything over 5k lbs regularly, it may not be worth the wait or effort to find a loaded expy with the HD tow as they are actually pretty rare to find with a good deal.

OP
OP
D

daveandthe6

Reaction score
Do all 302a packages and platinums have the CCD? Also, is it worth it to find a certified preowned? Usually the cars I buy are well beyond the CPO age so never looked at one before.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think all 302A have CCD. In my opinion Ford CPO is just nice if you find it. Easy to buy Ford extended warranty at slightly above cost online from several different dealers on whatever you find. I wouldn’t buy without HD tow.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For my 20 and older, ccd was pkged with 302a and platinum. For my21, is it a stand alone option on 302 and still std on platinum. I know your looking for pre owned, but I would also look for leftover 2020s if possible. I bet those deals would get u pretty close to a pre owned 19 and you won't have to deal with some of those early bugs from those years either.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do all 302a packages and platinums have the CCD? Also, is it worth it to find a certified preowned? Usually the cars I buy are well beyond the CPO age so never looked at one before.

The 2020-2021 models changed a bit.

For the 2018-19 models, CCD was standard on the Limited 302a, 303a, and Platinum.

Also, my 2019 303a included the HD tow with the Stealth package. I think has been since removed in the 2020-2021 models, as were the CCD suspension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FoMoCo_Stealth

Reaction score
The 2020-2021 models changed a bit.

For the 2018-19 models, CCD was standard on the Limited 302a, 303a, and Platinum.

Also, my 2019 303a included the HD tow with the Stealth package. I think has been since removed in the 2020-2021 models, as were the CCD suspension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a weird move by ford.

Aside from the exterior differences, the CCD and HD tow were why I opted not to look for a platty and stuck with the Limited. Fortunately I was able to find a 303a with low miles at the right price.

HD tow and CCD are 100% worth it.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter what brand get the vin call your local dealer service department non busy hours like 11am tell them your checking on recall status, while they look it up ask if they see any other service history. Get dates, locations and mileage for a couple. Better yet have seller get the auto maker / dealer to fax it and copy you.

AutoFax data is complete crap!!! The auto maker data is lets just say eye opening.

I caught three odometer rolled back vehicles doing this one was even on a dealer lot!!!
One car had been to 4 different dealers for brake failure over a 4 month period no indication the faulty ABS unit $3500 fix was ever replaced!!

Nearly all of them had outstanding recall work needed. I’ve even used outstanding recalls to negotiate price down.

OP
OP
D

daveandthe6

Reaction score
What a weird move by ford.

Aside from the exterior differences, the CCD and HD tow were why I opted not to look for a platty and stuck with the Limited. Fortunately I was able to find a 303a with low miles at the right price.

HD tow and CCD are 100% worth it.

Is the platinum not available with CCD or HD tow?