Can’t find transmission fluid leak, output shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep finding transmission fluid on the driveway and the Y-pipe always has a drip on it.....pan is tight but it just keeps leaking. Happens when parked for an hour plus. It’ll be dry and about 2 hours later if parked and not started there will be a few drops on the ground. You’d think output shaft would only leak when spinning so not sure where to go here. Right now the leak isn’t worth going after and I’ll add fluid, but I can’t for the life of me source where it’s coming from.

3B3719F0-E910-4FF5-85D0-316BD1E5A858.jpeg
6806FEC6-54B1-4328-89A7-ED1C56944829.jpeg
D9777E84-878D-4D92-BB4F-E527AC37783F.jpeg

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those pans have to have a good seal or they will leak. Didn't you remove it a while back? The fluid level is always above the gasket level and the oil is thin so if it finds a way out it will leak. I left one bolt out that I lost and it leaked but on the second round of fluid replacement I sealed it good and no drips showing so far.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed I had it off in January, it didn’t start leaking until recently however. When I did the Torque Converter I left the pan installed since it had just had a fluid and filter change before that job (I tried solenoids and pump bridge seal first). All bolts are installed and torqued. Perhaps there is a piece of dirt or something in the gasket surface allowing it to weep. Unfortunately I’ll have to dump a lot of good Mercon SP to find out....at $11/ quart.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes indeed I had it off in January, it didn’t start leaking until recently however. When I did the Torque Converter I left the pan installed since it had just had a fluid and filter change before that job (I tried solenoids first). All bolts are installed and torqued. Perhaps there is a piece of dirt or something in the gasket surface allowing it to weep. Unfortunately I’ll have to dump a lot of Merlin SP to find out....at $11/ quart.
Save that Mercon SP ($8 a quart at O'reillys but they never have any) and put it back in. I used 4 ramps (shown in the lifted Expy thread) to get it level for pan removal and checking the level. I cut an inch off a large plastic storage container with a jig saw to get it under (stock tire size) and catch all the fluid since I don't have a plug. Mine is a ZF6HP26 Torqueshift trans. Put it in 4WD (if you have that) and first gear if you go the ramp route. I used one of those red tubed fluid transfer pumps with the push pump from Amazon that is pretty fast and works well. I put a couple air compressor fittings in the ends for some weight.
Yours is dripping from the same place mine was. Since the bolts were hard to get to in the front and it was the second oil dilution change, I wiped off all the surfaces, got a new bolt that I lost, and coated both sides of the gasket with non hardening RTV gasket maker. It's not leaking so far that I can see.

Last edited:

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a real good look at the bulkhead connector at the back of the trans. That's where the bundle of wires goes into a plastic sleeve. They're notorious for leaking on the 6R75/6R80's. I've had mine changed on my 2010, and seen dozens of others getting repaired as well (I work for Ford)

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's probably the pan if you removed it but if it's the mechatronic case connector; Drop the pan, pull the white tab in the front corner down, and pry the wire connector out of the case. The O rings can dry up and leak.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
X2 on the bulkhead connector. My 2010 has dripped in that same spot through 3 or 4 transmission flushes, new gaskets, etc, until I discovered the problem with the bulkhead connector. 2 new O-rings from Ford dealer ($11) and another flush, and it's been dry as a bone for months now. There are YouTube videos on how to do this...super simple.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, well I checked and around the bulkhead connector looks dry and no sign of a leak.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is dry too but I just looked at the pan funny and it started leaking. Tail housing bushings rarely leak and never when just sitting.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you drop the pan to change it again, make sure it drips dry and you wipe both the pan and the case surfaces with brake clean. One little track of oil that runs across the gasket surfaces before you get the pan back up will always weep across that track. Get it buttoned back up dry and problem should be solved unless the pan has been distorted by over tightening in the past.