Can you revive a failed LSD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sir William

Reaction score
I just got the oil changed and everything checked out on my new-to-me 99 EB with 165k on the clock. When checking the rear diff, there wasn't much fluid in it at all, so we topped it off with standard gear oil. Now that I've had a chance to look up my axle code, H9, I see that it should be a 3.55 limited slip.

So is there any way to regain proper functionality of it? If I drain, clean out, and replace with proper fluid & friction modifier, should it be ok? If not, how hard is it to replace the frictions and such? Thanks!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
If it is truly worn out, changing / adding fluid isn't going to make any difference. Those units can be rebuilt if they have failed.

OP
OP
Sir William

Sir William

Reaction score
I don't know if it has truly failed or is just not working well due to low fluid and now fluid without friction modifier.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Add the friction modifier and see how it acts.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

GJarrett

Reaction score
At 165k miles, the friction surface on the LSD clutch plates wore out smooth long, LONG ago. You'll need to replace the clutch pack to get it working again.

OP
OP
Sir William

Sir William

Reaction score
That's kind of what I feared/assumed GJarrett, but figured I'd ask. Any ideas on the best place to source what I need to rebuild? How big a chore is it? Thanks!

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It really depends. I have the 3.73 lsd in mine and when I bought mine it would start binding up when going slow through a turn. you could feel it in the truck. I took it to Ford and they changed the fluid and put in the additive and it's been fine since. That was almost 50k miles ago.

GJarrett

Reaction score
That's kind of what I feared/assumed GJarrett, but figured I'd ask. Any ideas on the best place to source what I need to rebuild? How big a chore is it? Thanks!

I don't have a particular favorite source; maybe someone else here can give you one.

I haven't changed one in a 9.75 rear end; I've done some on 8.8 diffies. If the 9.75 has an S spring to hold the pressure there's a trick you have to do.
It is not a big chore IF you know the trick to putting it back in... the S spring in the clutch pack will drive you crazy and keep you from getting it back together unless you know "the trick". There is a way to take a pair of needlenose visegrips to squeeze the S spring together so that you can insert it into place.

Youtube video of the process Easy installation of the Ford 8.8" traction-lok S-spring - YouTube

I found another for the 9.75; he made a different homemade tool. It was unclear what the clutch pressure was coming from but maybe this video will help you.

How to replace f150 9.75" clutch packs to fix rearend shudder 2004-08 - YouTube

crackhead

Reaction score
If it's anything like the 8.8, which I would guess it is, you can buy the clutch packs from the dealer. If you want it to be a little tighter (off road, racing, etc), you can put an extra plate in there. Let us know what you decide.