Can't tell which wire is NEG/POS on speaker wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ICrushedAPrius

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just installed 4 Alpine Type 'S' 5x8 speakers in my 1997 4.6L, but the color coding on the wires is really odd.
Each door has it's own color system, blue w/ white line, yellow w/ green line, etc.
I know usually the wire with the line is ground, but all the wires have lines. I'm worried I may damage the speakers, or not get the full power they can offer.
Does anyone know if there is a wiring diagram that will denote Positive and negative for each door? Otherwise I will have to rewire completely....please help!

Surfnski

Reaction score
Easy way to test speaker polarity

Use a 1.5 volt battery (C,D,A cell). Test by connecting your battey to the pair of wires going to each speaker at the head unit. When the speaker travels outward observe the + and - markings on the battery compared to your wire colors.

Outward travel = correct polarity
Inward travel = reversed polarity

Here's a demo I found on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36zCvXEJQ7E&feature=youtube_gdata

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Just put a digital multi meter on direct current and touch it to the speaker wires with the volume down to a 1/4 or so. If the display will show a pos or neg number (like .005 vdc) If the number is negative then you have the leads reversed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik