Carbon Monoxide/Exhaust coming into Cabin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Argusman

Reaction score
Had a similar issue on my 2007 F150 and discovered that the #4 spark plug was loose by a 1/2 turn. The smell would only enter when I didn't have the recirculate setting on. FYI the dealership didn't find the issue but found the answer on another forum

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about this! Hopefully the dealer can find a solution for you... I know we sometimes can smell exhaust in ours, but it is only when the rear windows are open and only in certain circumstances and I haven't figured out what it is yet. Sometimes on freeway, sometimes going around town and sometimes towing..... So I try not to use them to often as I am not sure exactly what is causing the 'vacuum'... sounds like yours is much worse... hoping you can get it figured out with out having to go down the lemon route.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watch this video. As the tail light assembly is being removed, take a look at what is hidden behind it. Its a vent. On both sides.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2007_Ford_Expedition_EL_Eddie_Bauer_5.4L_V8/lights/brake_light Certainly a source for air intrusion.
When you are in normal mode the fresh air that comes in, exits through the vents behind the tail lights. When you are in recirc mode if the pressure in the vehicle is lower it might allow the vents to pull in exhaust.

OP
OP
E

Expeditionjenn

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if the OP returns.....somehow I doubt it.

jeff
I am the original poster(If that's what "OP" means-I had to google it) and yes I am still here. I appreciate all the helpful comments and feedback I have been getting from this forum. I have been passing them onto the mechanics at Ford. I haven't been posting, because there has been no change. Car is still at dealership as they try to figure out what is going on. Thanks for your post

Allen Miller

Reaction score
I am the original poster(If that's what "OP" means-I had to google it) and yes I am still here. I appreciate all the helpful comments and feedback I have been getting from this forum. I have been passing them onto the mechanics at Ford. I haven't been posting, because there has been no change. Car is still at dealership as they try to figure out what is going on. Thanks for your post
I've been watching this thread pretty closely over at the Explorer Forum, and it sounds like you've got the exact same problem - with a similar initial response from Ford.

The Explorer TSB details a couple possible fixes. In order of attempt: Update HVAC computer to latest software; inspect all possible holes and seams for improper sealant, apply sealant as necessary; install exhaust tips with an internal turn-down so that exhaust exits the bottom, but still keeps the shiny straight exit look.
When you are in normal mode the fresh air that comes in, exits through the vents behind the tail lights. When you are in recirc mode if the pressure in the vehicle is lower it might allow the vents to pull in exhaust.
That seems to make sense, but on the explorers, the TSB was looking at ALL possible holes, but left the "air extractors" alone except to seal them for a pressure test. My understanding is that these vents are only supposed to let any positive pressure out, and in Recirc mode, there's supposed to be negative pressure, but I wonder if they just aren't sealing properly...

In another post, you mentioned that you hadn't experienced it. Put the rear AC off completely, put your front AC on recirculate (with MAX fan setting) and do a long WOT run, such as pulling onto the interstate. That seems to be a sure-fire way to get it to show up in the Explorers.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another post, you mentioned that you hadn't experienced it. Put the rear AC off completely, put your front AC on recirculate (with MAX fan setting) and do a long WOT run, such as pulling onto the interstate. That seems to be a sure-fire way to get it to show up in the Explorers.
We did an 8 hour trip to PA a week ago and I almost never run the rear AC unless I have passengers. We were cruising about 80 MPH most of the way where we could. It was just my wife and we didn't experience any exhaust fumes or CO symptoms.

Allen Miller

Reaction score
We did an 8 hour trip to PA a week ago and I almost never run the rear AC unless I have passengers. We were cruising about 80 MPH most of the way where we could. It was just my wife and we didn't experience any exhaust fumes or CO symptoms.
How many times did you really floor it though? That seems to be the big difference for people that have the problem on the explorers - especially the PIU, since upfitters make extra holes, and LEOs seem to floor it almost every time they move.

It wasn't on every Explorer or PIU, so it probably won't be on every Expedition if it's a problem there too.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many times did you really floor it though? That seems to be the big difference for people that have the problem on the explorers - especially the PIU, since upfitters make extra holes, and LEOs seem to floor it almost every time they move.

It wasn't on every Explorer or PIU, so it probably won't be on every Expedition if it's a problem there too.
probably about 6 to 8 times getting on the turnpike, getting back on after a rest stop. Passing long lines f cars that kept riding in the left lane and didn't move over, I know I hit 95 at least once during one of those high speed foot to the floor passes.