catalytic converter monitor not ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajreed88

Reaction score
I live in NJ and my 1998 Expedition failed inspection. The inspection place said my catalytic converter monitor is not ready. I took it to a mechanic and he said my O2 sensors are fine but I need to replace the catalytic converters. I have no codes indicating any trouble with the catalytic converters. What should I do?

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
did you disconnect the battery right before the truck got tested? Usually that will clear any memory in the comp so the emmissions testing can't read it, therefore it says "Monitors not ready"

OP
OP
A

ajreed88

Reaction score
No, the battery has not been unplugged recently. I have been driving the vehicle for over three months and over a thousand miles, yet the monitor is still not ready.

trapperpg

Reaction score
Maybe what he really meant was "I have a boat payment coming due, and you look like just the person to help me make that payment."
Only other idea is maybe the battery is weak, and voltage drops low enough during starting to reset computer, resulting in a not ready state. Without a code reader, it's all going to be a matter of guessing.