Catalytic Converter replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After more research, it looks like it's the pre or first 02 sensor on the passenger side. Could it be that since the passenger side was the one that was 40% blocked, it got ruined because there was not enough flow and it overheated????

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well bank 1 is passenger side. You or your mechanic will need to check wiring up to the 02 sensors first, and run all trim tests. if all checks ok then it's your sensor that's most likely at fault. Catalytic converters that fail, will take out 02 sensors, due to rich running conditions. One of the other guys can help with diagnostic procedures if your going to do it yourself, sorry I'm running just with an I phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for my last post, I must have been typing it up when you posted yours. Well at least the code is following the cat that had the blockage issue, which points to it failing because the cat went bad. I appreciate the help you have offered me 1955moose!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad you figured it out. Anytime a motor runs too rich, it can take out a catalytic converter/ o2 sensor.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could try cleaning the MAF sensor first. You could also install the Torque app on your android phone or the Forscan app on your windows laptop and get a Bluetooth obd2 code reader. Both have graphing functions which can be used to monitor the 02 sensors' activity. You could test O2 sensor response by adding propane to the intake.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:
I bought a new Bosch 02 Sensor and installed this afternoon, what a pain in the ass that was! I do have a wi-fi obd2 reader and DashCommand app on my iphone-6. I reset the P1131 code and drove the Expy for a long time, no " Check Engine Soon " light and no pending codes after 35+ miles. My DashCommand app also has a diagnostic feature that will check many engine parameters. It comes in a list format, with either a " red ! " ( meaning a problem ), a " yellow - " ( meaning parameter not supported ) and a " green check mark " ( meaning A OK on that parameter ). Everything pertaining to the 02 Sensor had a " green check mark " next to it. During my test drive, the engine ran really strong, much better than before and when at a stop sign the engine idled nice and smooth with no idle drop or shuttering. I know this is only after a 35 mile drive, but so far so good ( knock on wood!!!! ). If it was something other than a bad 02 Sensor, say a manifold leak or something, how long would it take to throw a code again????

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The time it takes to throw a code varies. Especially a check engine light. It can take a few minutes, up to hours. Just depends what's wrong.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:
Went on a long trip up to the mountains last weekend and the Expy did GREAT! You could really tell the power increase when going up long hills. The hills that would before cause the engine rev to 3500 to 4000 rpms now only has to rev to 2500rpm and I would actually increase speed going up them. VERY happy with the choice of going from 4 converters to 2!

RongWay

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I experienced a similar issue last week where I was getting a P0430 code (cat on bank2 (driver's side)), After reading a bunch of posts and discussing with my Father-in-law, I replaced all 4 O2 sensors. The light stayed off for a day, but popped back up again. Discussed with FIL again and he agreed that the cat probably needs to be replaced. I had a coil fail and a ton of misfires on the freeway two weeks back, so sounds like that may have killed the cat.

So, can anyone recommend a good quality replacement brand of cats? Looking at the Ford replacements are just painful at $4K for the set. Considering wqe just put $3K into replacing all plugs and coils, along with labor for rep[lacing the rack & pinion, I'm really not looking to spend $7K on a truck we paid $10K for.

Any help is appreciated!