Catalytic Converter replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
4K is an absolutely rediculus price, that's what I paid for my Expy! Shame on you Ford for engineering that type of cost into your vehicles! I know that you need Cat's that are approved for use in California, I'm sure your local muffler shop will have the proper ones. Did you call around and get quotes for having two cat's installed instead of four? To try and make you feel better, I was told by the muffler shop that installed my two cat's that mustangs have SIX Cat's!

RongWay

Reaction score
This truck is killing me in repairs over the past 3 weeks... Luckily, it only has 2 cats, $1,700 for driver side and $2,300 for passenger. I don't have an issue installing myself, just not sure of a good aftermarket brand. I know they are not going to be cheap because they come with custom bent tubing and flanges, but the Ford prices are outrageous, and RockAuto doesn't carry OEM cats.

OP
OP
A

AZ59apacheguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even for two that's outragous. Mine were aftermarket, but when looking at them they show no brand name, so I can't help you there. Heck I saw a complete header/cat coverter and y pipe on ebay for $500 shipped. Don't know if they are California approved though.

RongWay

Reaction score
Yep...California is the killer. Looking at two seemingly identical sets. Non-CA is $400, CA version is $1,100.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Muffler shops have replacement converters for under $500.00 each, I know cause a friend of mine had one put on his car. You need to pick up some from Oreillys or auto zone and have a shop or friend install. Their are a lot of pirates out there these days, don't give into their crap. Hell find someone that has a wrecked vehicle like yours, that's willing to sell a few under the table. Theirs always a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got off phone with Oreillys here in Daly City, Ca where I'm at, the young lady quoted me $525.00 each direct fit left side, $580.00 each right side. If you want to go with a cheaper universal fit, their about $250.00 to $300.00 each. Labor shouldn't be more than 1 hour or so for two. You need to find an honest repair shop, that can handle Exaust, bring in your own parts, that's what I do, and weed out the crooks.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem, can't stand paying un necessary money. That's what this forum all about, fix your vehicle for the cheapest labor way possible. I was poor growing up. Barely had money for the parts, let alone labor to pay some yahoo. Shop around, you'd be surprised the difference in parts. If your mechanical do it your self.

RongWay

Reaction score
I just got off phone with Oreillys here in Daly City, Ca where I'm at, the young lady quoted me $525.00 each direct fit left side, $580.00 each right side. If you want to go with a cheaper universal fit, their about $250.00 to $300.00 each. Labor shouldn't be more than 1 hour or so for two. You need to find an honest repair shop, that can handle Exaust, bring in your own parts, that's what I do, and weed out the crooks.

Thanks for the information, and I will definitely be doing the job myself, so the direct fit is a must. Did they happen to mention a brand? I'm looking for something that's going to last for a while.