Catalytic Converter Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

New to the forums and Expeditions, but not new to owning a Ford.

About a month ago, I bought a 2002 Expedition Eddie Bauer Edition AWD with 94000+ miles on it for my wife as a grocery getter/family trip vehicle and to haul lumber/building supplies for the homestead. The "Service Engine Soon" light came on solid about 2 weeks ago, took it to my mechanic who said he was getting a "catalytic converter deficiency" code, which, according to him, means the cats need replacing. I have been doing some research on catalytic converters and would prefer to replace the OEM cats with high flow/performance cats. So I have a few questions the answers to which I have not found, even on these forums:
  1. What brands offer a line of high flow/performance cats for the 5.4 Triton V8? (So far I have come up with Magnaflow, Catco, and SLP, but I am not sure if these are high flow/performance)
  2. Is it possible to purchase only the high flow/performance cats or is only the direct fit assembly (as sold by Magnaflow) available?
  3. Is it necessary to replace all four cats or could I get away with only two cats? (I live in the People's Soviet of Connecticut and the Expedition does not need emissions testing until spring 2012 and paying for the Expedition in full has cleaned out my savings, so I am looking to save as much money as possible)
  4. Finally, if I go with a direct fit assembly, could a person whose automotive expertise extends to a couple of oil changes on a Civic, changing/rotating wheels, checking/filling fluids, changing a battery or two, and putting air in the tires with a limited variety of basic hand tools be capable of installing this type of direct fit catalytic converter?

Please, let me know if more information about the truck is needed to come to a proper conclusion about my conundrum.

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or suggestions!

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magnaflow high flow cats should work, of which, you should only need 2. I forget the exact one you need to get (it's one of their universal ones), but it'd probably be best if you took it to an exhaust place/have your mechanic weld it in place.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the response, ELVATO. Two high flow cats would definately save me some dough. I will try to get some Magnaflow part numbers and post them.

Spadesluck, according to the OBDII diagram on Magnaflow's website only the front two cats are monitored. I did notice after looking under my truck there was a device sticking out of the top of the Y pipe where the exhaust from the manifold and cats come together and feed into the muffler. I don't know if this device is a O2 sensor or what. . .

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
Anyone know the dimensions on the OEM catalytic converters for the 2002 Eddie Bauer Expedition? I am having trouble deciding which Magnaflow universal cat is the proper fit. I am guessing one of the 99000 series 2.25 inch Universal Spun Catalytic Converters since this series is OBDII compliant? But which 99000 series cat to choose: 99655HM, 99675HM, or 99956HM?

Last edited:

colemanwhite123

Reaction score
Be patient with the catalytic converters, as they are often hard to remove due to size and awkward placement. You may have to drill or saw bolts to remove them. With this in mind, you should pick up new bolts, nuts and seals for your replacement project

Canadian Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
get a pair of high flo universal take to exhaust shop and let them install (weld them in place) you'll have a better looking/ lasting job then blot in with clamps!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69