Changing coil on number 8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Butch Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How hard is it to get to the number 8 coil? My 2003 5.4l starting skipping last night, went this morning and had the code read "misfire on number 8 cylinder". It had the same feeling mine gets when the coil is bad. I have changed 1,2,5,6 already.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
A misfire is not necessarily a bad coil. It can be a bad spark plug, excessive spark plug gap, injector issue, or water or moisture in the plug well.

Anyways..... #8

Maybe a :whymewhyme: on a scale of :gr_grin: to :banghead:

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not impossible or as bad as #4, but make sure you have a 1/4 inch small ratchet to get the coil pack bolt (7 mm) out. Then a couple of different size extensions (maybe swivel) for you 3/8 inch ratchet for the plug. If you are short, a step stool would come in handy too as it's a good reach. I'm 6 ft, and it's still a stretch for me.

OP
OP
B

Butch Smith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:happy3:
Well just got the coil on number 8 cylinder in. It is a pain to get to but if you have replaced any of the others not to bad. The access is the problem because the fuel rail is in the way. Expy runs good and not throwing any codes. I looked at number 4 and i don't know how in the hell to reach in there and get that one out, I hope it last a few more years.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked at number 4 and i don't know how in the hell to reach in there and get that one out, I hope it last a few more years.

Small increments at a time Sir. Not being a smart a$$, but when I did mine the first time, it took several attempts to understand just the plain geometry of all the extensions, work arounds etc., moving the heater core lines, deciding whether or not to remove the fuel rail (left it on) & of course I had to deinstall both the blower and aftercooler first.

Last thing is that I used a foam pad and laid on top the radiator & intake for best angle of attack.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
:happy3:
Well just got the coil on number 8 cylinder in. It is a pain to get to but if you have replaced any of the others not to bad. The access is the problem because the fuel rail is in the way. Expy runs good and not throwing any codes. I looked at number 4 and i don't know how in the hell to reach in there and get that one out, I hope it last a few more years.

To get to #4, the best way is to remove the ECU/PCM and bracket. Then it's not any worse than #8. LOL.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^What he said. I don't remember the coils themselves being too hard to remove in general. Just the constant fear I was going to drop the one screw in the valley of lost items, especially for the ones further back.

ccbc65

Reaction score
Thank you Stoned06 and ZombieSoldier for the info. I had to change the coil on #4 today and was having trouble until I saw your suggestions...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev