Changing Pad and Calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SO just to give you a little history I am pretty green when it comes to working on the expy or any motor vehicle mechanically. I have done a lot with looks and changed plugs on an old jeep as well as oil but that about it never really dived in to much. I had to replace both front calipers and pads as well as bleed the brakes. I just want to point out for the newbies as I will call them the big mistake I made.

The first mistake I made not to big but sucked just as much was I put to outside pads on the same side. Again not that big of a deal, i could of easily corrected it by laying the parts out ahead of time.

The big mistake came when I put the calipers on upside down..... I know I know how could I mess that up well I did.

002.jpg

003.jpg

When your looking at the truck you will see I the brake fluid line on the right of the picture and below that you will see the bleeder valve. I had no idea the bleeder valve had to go on the top and not the bottom.

I was confused because I kept bleeding the brakes and the pedal was soo loose. Once i finally realized what I did I switched everything out, blead them and they were good as new.

I know most of you already knew that but I thought I would share it for the new guys.

Hope you liked

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Gravity!! Air goes to the top. :)

That sucks you had to learn the hard way... but guarantee you never make that mistake again. Now you are an expert on replacing front calipers. :)

OP
OP
S

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
haha I know right you can guarantee it wont happen again. oh well you live and you learn

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol my dad did this on his old explorer...hes done hundreds of brakes and some how screwed up. it happends to the best of us!

good job! brakes anymore are very very easy. god i hate drums!

this reminds me to check the pads on my expy.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats a mistake that most have made that do the work regularly... no biggy just remember bleeders always go to the top...

good job on doing the job your self

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
this thread reminds me, i should go double check my brakes. they are working just fine (for bigger tires anyhow) but with a long trip ahead of me through the mountains...its been 3 years on these brakes...

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I made a YDMF mistake like that on ours, unsure what the mistake was, and I am going to have to tear in there, but the dowels or pins that slide in to hold everything in place, are half out and hitting the wheel on the front pass side.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i, well oreilys, made a mistake for me. they gave me too big of pads. so i couldnt do the job. but for some reason charged me the right pads. after getting messy and ruining the new calipers i had to go back to oreilys and get the right pads and go to a different one for new calipers. all in all not a hard job.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
My front passenger side caliper has been dragging lately. May be doing this project soon :(