48,800km (30,000mi) and $2,200 for Pads and Rotors Replacement Quote from Dealer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

20Expy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum/community and appreciate you all!

The problem with the brakes started on the 2nd year of ownership of our 2020 Expy Max (bought Dec of 2019). It started to vibrate under light to moderate braking from highway speeds (probably when rotors were cold). We for some reason didn't think much about it and stupidly didn't claim it under warranty when it hasn't yet expired. Plus, it only happens occasionally and during that time we were going back and forth with the dealer about the 21N08 cam phaser rattle recall for like months, so we had enough of visiting the dealer.

The vibration under braking went on both while manual braking AND while using adaptive cruise (we use it a lot, don't know if that has anything to do with it), but only occasionally and from the conditions I said above, so we just dealt with it until beginning of 2023, where we requested a brake fluid change (according to owners manual: every 3 years). Then, the dealer quoted us 2k for pads and rotors, because they are "warped" and refused to do the brake fluids because they look fine. We were skeptical, because if the rotors are warped, aren't they supposed to vibrate every time I step on the brakes, not occasionally under certain conditions (like cold rotors, light braking etc...)?

Recently (about 1 year ago), we did a lot less highway driving and did a lot more city driving at lower speeds, therefore also barely used adaptive cruise and when taking on the highway, the vibration magically stopped, smooth brakes again. We took it in 4th of Dec, 2023, for oil change and requested brake fluid change again. This time, they quoted us 2,2k for pads and rotors again, BUT this time they said that rotors are "scratched and has rust ridges around them, so we can't machine them down". Fair enough ig, because we live on the rust belt, but then, they say we only have 1 milimeter!!! of pad life left on both rear sets and front left pads. The front right has 3MM left which is still dangerously low if numbers are true. Is it possible though? Because that is crazy quick wear on those pads. We only have 30,000 miles on the clock and never towed before, barely even carried anything heavy. First 2-3 years, we did some mountain highway driving (from Pacific Northwest) at moderate speeds, last 1-2 years are mostly slow speed in the cities.

To be fair, one year ago Kal Tire did quote us once when changing over to winters, that the rear pads and rotors needed replacing for $600. They haven't asked us again since then when we changed tires again with them. Looking at the rotors, do you think they needed replacing? Or do the pads only need replacing. Any recommendations out there for pads and/or rotors if these do need replacing, or should we just stick to OEM parts? They don't seem to last long.

Here are some pictures of the rotors (Sorry for the terrible images, we don't have jacks and stands to remove the wheel to inspect):
Also, these images were taken right after driving for a little bit. Not sat overnight!
Rear right:
20231205_153548.jpg20231205_155017.jpg

Rear right:
20231205_153947.jpg
Front Left:
20231205_154134.jpg

Front right:
20231205_154542.jpg

Sorry for this LONG post, hope you guys don't mind.
Thank you all in advance for the responses! Anything is appreciated!

Last edited:

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is check the pads and see if they are BSing you there. That's the easiest thing to check right now. Then either do it yourself or find a good trusted independent mechanic. I'd have stopped using that dealer the moment they refused to do preventative maintenance work you asked them to do that was in accordance with the manual. No longer under warranty means no longer going to that dealer.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rotors look fine to me. I wouldn't even bother to resurface them if it were me. Even with the rotor resurfacing services, an independent workshop should charge you $300 to $400 per axle.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First thing I'd do is check the pads and see if they are BSing you there. That's the easiest thing to check right now. Then either do it yourself or find a good trusted independent mechanic. I'd have stopped using that dealer the moment they refused to do preventative maintenance work you asked them to do that was in accordance with the manual. No longer under warranty means no longer going to that dealer.
So true. The brake pads on my RAM 1500 were replaced with more than 80k miles for the very first time.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
seems like a rip off. You can order a 4 wheel set of great pads with various rotor options from someone like powerstop for far less than half that. yes, you do the work, but these are pretty easy to do, just remember to lockout the parking brakes first. have some good anti-seize on hand (I use the motorcraft high temp just for giggles) and lots of brake cleaner. If you know a little bit about doing the work, should take but 3-4 hours total.

Oh, and the factory rotors have a tendency to cement themselves to the hubs, I had to use a 2x4 and some serious alternating whacks to get them to break off.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will say the stock rear pads do not last a really long time on these. I can't remember when mine needed replacement but it was probably somewhere around 30-32k miles.

You can warp rotors at any mileage, so to say you have low miles so they can't be warped isn't right. I would suspect a rotor issue long before thinking the brake fluid was the issue.

I have had rotors turned that exhibited issues of being "warped" and the issue only goes away for a little bit. Sometimes it is just better to replace them. Warped isn't really a great term for what is going on, they rarely are "warped" and it is disc thinkness variability, uneven wear, or improperly bedded pads, etc.

sixstring

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 15 EL/max ate the rotors very quickly. every 10k miles or so. lots of vibration and steering wheel shake when braking. Ford doesn't use the best metal. I did buy a powerstop brake kit and had a local independent brake guy put the kit and it was fantastic. Never thought about brakes ever again on that vehicle. they also make a kit if you tow. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWR-K8026

RacerBX1

Reaction score
As others have mentioned go elsewhere. Ford rotors are notorious for what you are dealing with so replacing with Ford part you may or may not end up with the same results. The rust rim happens everywhere due to the brake pad never touching the rotor in that area. Our Expeditions are pretty much a 50/50 weight balance, so Ford equals the balance on front and rear brakes unlike most vehicles which are more front biased. Because of smaller rotors in the back but equal work the rears are going to wear out faster.
Brakes work best with the brake pad material embedded on the rotors (bedding). Brake pad material on rotor and brakes makes the best stopping. What you are dealing with and can be seen from your pictures is that some spots on the rotor have no brake material on it (the shiny spots). So as the rotor is turning you are getting good and bad brake a few times with each rotation. You can give bedding in a retry, but with your pad thickness I would suggest going to good place to get the work done. New pads, rotors and a fluid change. Then find a nice county road with no to little traffic and bed your new brakes in. You do this by getting up to 60 to 80 mph and JAM on the brakes just short of anti-lock kicking in but don’t come to a complete stop. Speed back up and do it again and again until your brakes are so hot that you are not getting a lot of stopping power when you hit them. Then drive a bit more without stopping to let them cool back down. You should see a grayish brownish material on the rotors which is good with brake material on your rotors. Getting brakes hot is the only way to do this. At times this process may need repeating. Shiny rotors = not good braking.

Dahammer

Reaction score
Adaptive Cruise Control will reduce brake lining because it uses the camera, mathematically calculates your distance from the vehicle in front of you, and uses brakes to maintain distance at all times. So, for example, if the car slows down in front of your vehicle, brakes are applied either gently or slammed.
Brakes are applied by the rear first and added shortly after the fronts. Think of your bicycle, rear 1st in breaking. If you apply front first, you will flip your bike over.

Rotor warp is a bad term to use. There might be high spots on the face of the rotor, and needs to be honed down.

As for me, when I have to replace pads, I also replace rotors and maybe calipers too. Why? I want my pedial to travel just like if the car came from a factory,

OP
OP
20Expy

20Expy

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for the insanely quick replies. It was all greatly appreciated.

I will say the stock rear pads do not last a really long time on these. I can't remember when mine needed replacement but it was probably somewhere around 30-32k miles.

You can warp rotors at any mileage, so to say you have low miles so they can't be warped isn't right. I would suspect a rotor issue long before thinking the brake fluid was the issue.

I have had rotors turned that exhibited issues of being "warped" and the issue only goes away for a little bit. Sometimes it is just better to replace them. Warped isn't really a great term for what is going on, they rarely are "warped" and it is disc thinkness variability, uneven wear, or improperly bedded pads, etc.
So I am not the only one then! I was also wondering if your brakes squealed before they are completely worn, because I believe all pads have a squealer (wear indicator), that would squeal way before worn down to 1mm. Also wondering if you tow or haul heavy things or not, because we didn't at all. Our rear brakes also wear faster than fronts like yours according to the service before the latest service (latest service stated they're all at 1mm except for front right at 3mm). Kal Tire around that time also offered us to change the rear pads and rotors. Do you know when your fronts went as well?

Lastly, the fluid change was only requested because it was scheduled maintenance according to the manual. We didn't say anything about the problem to the dealer, but it was until we requested the fluid change, that they quoted us on 2k for "warped" rotors. Before that when we went to do oil changes and multi-point inspections, they didn't say anythings, so we were a bit skeptical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani