chatter on take off.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
03' 97,000 miles, experiencing a chattering or vibration/ binding noise coming from the rear of vehicle. Is this the differential binding? When I back out of the drive way, I put into drive the wheels are turned. As I accelerate under mid throttle, I can hear and feel noise described above. I have not noticed this in straight take offs. Only when take off in a sharp turn. The vehicle can be either cold less then 5 minutes idling to warm up, or been driven a lot and it happens. Is it possible the diff is making noise? Is there any way to make it stop? The noise kind of reminds me of a locked diff the inside tire in tight corner, wheel hop. pretty sure the behemoth could not have wheel hop though.

Thanks for advice in advance.

Aaron

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
yea the clutch packs do that in mine too, your at 97K and due for a diff service

OP
OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks, Is this a fluid change? or more in depth. I would like to do as much of the work myself. I have the actual Ford service dealer manuals. Looks like monday I will be under the truck then.

Taylormade08

Reaction score
Rear Differential Clutch Pack. Same happened to me. I would feel it up front on my 4X4.Thats when the dealer told me the rear diff. I was like no, its coming from the front. I did research online and sure enough, on 4X4 vechicles it seems as if it comes from the front. After $746, its fixed now. And check to see that when this work is done, that the friction additive has been added to the rear axle also.

2003 Eddie

Reaction score
Chatter Correction

My 03 had the same issue. At first the dealer figured it was the alignment, so I had that done ($90), chatter was still there. I had Cooper ATR's tires on at the time and thought that my be the issue, So I changed them to a less aggressive BF LongTrial ($900.00). Nope, the chatter was still there. Took it to the dealer again, they told me rear diff was the issue and that it would need a rebuild..WHAT! I turned that down and asked a friend at a local service shop. He said, its the rear diff, just need fluid and additive. So I did that ($150.00), chatter is almost gone after about 1K miles. CHANGE YOUR DIFF FLUID AND ADDITIVE if you experience chatter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker