Check Engine Light Wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrjonathon

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I don’t have much experience with cars, but I watched a few videos for the dashboard lights and it seemed pretty easy to change those out.

My check engine light does not light up at all, I need it to light up on startup for my registration renewal inspection.

Well when I pulled everything off I didn’t find a regular bulb for the check engine light. Nor was there a slotting for it on the circuit board, illumination slotting for those bulbs. However, there was a wire just dangling, not connecting to anything. After looking around a bit it appears that it is the engine light. Like I said the wire is not attached to anything, it’s taped off at the end.

I think the previous owner cut the wire, but I can’t find where the other end is.

Any help on how to find it would be appreciated. I read on another forum that i could just run a new connection to the PCM but that seems easier said than done.

Edit: 2002 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4 with the 4.6L

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to post which year and model you have. Also I would go get the codes read and fix the issues being hidden by a non functioning cel.

OP
OP
M

Mrjonathon

Reaction score
You need to post which year and model you have. Also I would go get the codes read and fix the issues being hidden by a non functioning cel.

It’s a 2002 4.6 XLT Expedition 4x4

I’ve been working on the codes, but I will have a failed inspection if the light does not turn on with the key in the ignition on the crank position

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pink and light green seems to be the one for the check engine light. Maybe stamp or bedrck can confirm that.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Mrjonathon

Reaction score
nC6yA
It’s a random chord with a bulb at the end and cut wires on the other

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the bulbs with a meter to verify they are good.

Has the harness and plugs for the cluster been altered - such as cut wires?

The ecm/pcm will command an output to the cluster turn on the CEL. If the harnesses haven't been altered you can remove the main board from the plastic housing and inspect the circuits for burnout or alteration. Just be careful with the gauges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mrjonathon

Reaction score
Check the bulbs with a meter to verify they are good.

Has the harness and plugs for the cluster been altered - such as cut wires?

The ecm/pcm will command an output to the cluster turn on the CEL. If the harnesses haven't been altered you can remove the main board from the plastic housing and inspect the circuits for burnout or alteration. Just be careful with the gauges.

I’m not sure what you mean. The white and red cord in the picture above is connected to the check engine light bulb on one end. And nothing on the other end. It appears to have been cut, but I can’t find any other loose wires to splice them back together.