chips/programmers/tuners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer2010

Reaction score
anyone using one? i'm looking at the hypertech programmer III and the diablo predator for my expy. I'm mainly looking to increase mpg and being able to calibrate my speedo would be nice too since i know it's off.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the programmer helps the mileage even with regular fuel. The pre2002 motors can really benefit from tuning revisions. All the tunes for factory trucks are exactly the same no matter who you buy them from. I know hypertech has 87 and 93 fuel tuning, but I have a suggestion...... I really like Sniper Tuning www.snipertuing.com I have their high dollar dyno shop software. They offer a "end-user level" software called "scout" or more advanced called "special forces". If you buy the basic programmer and software I will be able to do custom tunes for everybody just by sending me your tune captured from the car via email (and a little green of course). I picked up 3mpg in town just by fixing the typical Ford "in a gear too high" shift points and kept the converter from locking up untill I was at highway speeds.... As soon as my regular work dies down a bit I will start offering my services to you guys if you are interested.
Matt Robinson

Landho

Reaction score
Update

So we've had three full tanks of gas 93 octane gas since I installed the tune, and our average is now 15.7mpg. It hasn't averaged that far above 15.4 in over 10 months, {except for a quick stint to 16.7mpg during a 4000mile trip to Colorado.}

Given all of the conditions which affect fuel economy, that slight .3 change is hardly signifigant and perhaps unrelated to the tuning at all. I will report back again in a couple more weeks to note any changes in MPG.

I have certainly noticed a slight power improvement... the key work there is "slight". It isn't night or day though... a few trials of "re-programming to stock/re-programming to hypertech" have helped and there is certainly a bit more "umph" - particularly around 2000rpm, and again in the 3000-4000rpm range. I don't go out and make "drag racing" runs, these are practicle use trials. I can undoudtedly notice a mild difference in how quick the truck gets to speed and a percievable difference driving up and around a large bridge/on-ramp to the beltway.

Again, so far i'm very pleased. I've got my eye on a Gibson cat-back exhaust and headers... waiting for the availability of dyno results though.

More later...

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well....... Hypertech may have only added timing during hard throttle conditions to not mess with the emissions legality. The mileage gains come from adding timing during cruise, but this can effect emissions. Usually the more timing you run in the tune without pinging, the more efficient the engine will be. I doesn't really hurt emissions, but companies like hypertech only usually mess with WOT and heavy load so they don't have to certify the tunes with the EPA. Emissions testing isn't done at WOT.....
Just a guess,
Matt

Landho

Reaction score
It should be noted that - as an Expedition driver, it can be assumed that I am not too concerned about emissions and would be willing to modify my Expy in many ways without regards to emissions. Particularly if it were just a program, which I could remove or add easily before and after inspection.

Sure, shoot me, if you're reading this forum and drive an expy, you're no tree hugger.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well put....LOL If I really cared about the gas mileage I would have bought a Prius and you would be able to view my Testicles in a jar in my entertainment center!

TKfunford

Reaction score
I've just purchased the Sniper special forces for my Expedition. Should be here by Monday. Can't wait to get it tuned and see the difference. Next is to add a new cold air kit to it. Any suggestions on which to get? I have 06 w/ the 5.4 3 valve Eddie Bauer 4x4