Choice of Front Struts for 2007

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmont

Reaction score
I need to replace the front struts on my 2007. I'm running the originals at 215k miles! Can anyone comment on what I should look for, brand, quality, etc on a pair of front struts?

O'Reilly's has MasterPro's for $159 each. Autozone has Duralasts and Sensens for similar prices. I dont' want to pay Ford OEM prices....

Thanks for any advice.

dmont

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Beware of the Chinese consumer auto-parts store brands you mention. Just garbage.

Labor and sweat is too valuable to waste on installing junk, and I get too aggravated when I fight to install the stuff and it doesn't work .

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got the Ranchoes from RockAuto and like them. They have an adjuster dial you can tune the shock for soft vs. hard. The also level the truck out and get rid of the rake. I'd say total lift is about an inch. Just a little more than stock. Like them alot. I also made some of those strut mud guards talked of in another thread - used that rubber roof membrane they sell at home Depot. Hope it keeps out the weather. All the goo is a coating of corrosion free 3000. It's a rust proofing that you spray on and is sort of like a wd-40 in honey form that seeps all over, lubricates all rubber, and is safe for electrical. Put it right on any corrosion with no prep.IMG_20181230_175236758.jpeg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
How do the Ranchoes deal with the rake? Are the front ones a bit longer than the rears? And how's the ride? Hate the factory rake on the truck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
How do the Ranchoes deal with the rake? Are the front ones a bit longer than the rears? And how's the ride? Hate the factory rake on the truck!
Yes. Rears are like 3/4" higher and front is like 1 1/2" higher. I think the rancho web site gives you all the specs. Could be a problem if you don't do all 4- might have nose up since stock struts in rear are lower.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

dmont

Reaction score
Great information guys, thanks! I'm not sure if I want to lift the front end at all, even though it's only 1 1/2" higher. We have the air suspension in the rear, and it's primarily my wife's truck. However, I'm a fan of Rancho's as we have them on our Jeep.

@Trainmaster, the alternatives on Rock Auto.... Monroe, Moog, Gabriel...are they as bad as the ones I'd buy at a local auto parts store?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I believe the name brands, which are supported with good warranties, are far better than the auto-parts store stuff. It seems the chain stores view their their customers as wanting only the cheapest products available, so they often offer their own name brands which are rebadged Chinese knockoffs of name brands at huge markup for their store overhead.

While brands such as Monroe, Moog and Gabriel from time to time have critics, they are tried and true brands that stand behind their products. Their own names are on them and they sell to professionals.

All of them though I consider a gamble compared to OEM Motorcraft products.

Then there are premium brands as Ranchero and Bilstein which have their followers.

I'd like to hear what others think.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont' want to pay Ford OEM prices....

Motorcaft are less than $100 without looking very hard. I'd buy used Motorcraft before I'd buy new O'Really's house brand.

Ford front part number is 7L1Z-18124-T. Or AL1Z-18124-D.

$83+ shipping at Taska, which your dealer might price match. $97 on Rock Auto + shipping. Easy under $100 shipped on ebay. $99 Amazon shipped.

OP
OP
D

dmont

Reaction score
Whoa...I didn't expect OEM Ford parts to be that inexpensive! @Flexpedition thank you for doing that homework for me. I think I'll go that route.

For the ~2-3 hours I'll spend working on this I definitely want good parts.

Thanks everyone for your input.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Think about your first post for a second. I'm running the originals with 215 k. Struts are supposed to be changed every 50-60k. If you rock that boat with any aftermarket struts sir, bend over and let me put my Moose sized 16 foot at your backside. I have tried litterealy every shock/strut on the market, Munroe, Motorcraft, Bilstein, all rode like a tank! Spend the [emoji383], get a discount from your dealer. They'll do it, but put back on Ford, not Motorcraft, different strut. Why do the job twice, or hate the ride/ handling that obviously your happy with. I'm sure I'll get hate mail, but what the hey, I'm running 4 Ford shocks that I and my good friend scoured country wide, after trying 3 other brands, and you know what, now my Eddie rides nice for a solid axle 4x4!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk