cigarette lighter power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wpatters1229

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Expedition with two cigarette lighter ports. Both still have 12v power when the key is turned off. I want to hook up a dash camera and want to turn it on and off with the key so when I turn off the car the camera turns off and vice a versa. Is there a way to make one or both of these lighter ports switchable?

tekrsq

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Short answer is it's not easy. You basically have to unplug the port from the factory wiring, then install a separate, key activated circuit and connect it to the port. I had this same issue with my 99 when I was trying to install a dash cam. I ended up just buying an install kit for the dash cam and hooked up the 2 wires to the fuse box with "add-a-circuits". It was a lot easier (and cheaper) than screwing with the power ports.

OP
OP
W

wpatters1229

Reaction score
Thank You for the reply. I found that there is a circuit that is controlled by the key on and off, the audio circuit that turns on the radio. If I can get to the circuit that powers the lighter and move it to the audio it will work. I just have to figure out how to drop the fuse board that is under the dash so I can get to those positions. I just do not want to have to take apart the dash panels...but I may have to.