Cleaned up the rear view

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took the badges off my 15. Then I tinted the 3rd brake light. I already replaced the bulbs with LEDs. This is 2 coats of tint and 3 coats of clear. I’m happy with the way it turned out.
530fc31d9317aaa1f694c29934e5bf15.jpg
dcb2433e93355304108bf6d9ed57b48e.jpg
9f2efe5c3d56fbde93cfa3199a4fba5b.jpg
ff668f7b37ac71449bdadeb10615a352.jpg
cb9acc107dfb6f881195f77d8c090d9b.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4.

Why would you cover the third high-mount brake light assembly with dark tint? The brake light has proven to increase braking intention to drivers behind the vehicle?

Does New York have any traffic laws that prohibit tinting of brake light lenses?

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m curious how dim/bright your third is now. Can you post a pic with it lit?

I’m all for debadging because it leaves a clean look. I did that myself. But don’t the stickers on the glass kind of make that moot? Btw is that a doctor who sticker? Nice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
DF5.4

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m curious how dim/bright your third is now. Can you post a pic with it lit?

I’m all for debadging because it leaves a clean look. I did that myself. But don’t the stickers on the glass kind of make that moot? Btw is that a doctor who sticker? Nice :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes the light is dimmed. I probably could have gotten away with 1 coat of tint instead of 2.

The stickers on the window are me, not Ford.
Lake Placid is probably one of my favorite places to go.
I've been a Doctor Who fan since I started watching it in the 70s.
I have a rescue Boarder Collie.
By the way if anyone is looking for a dog check out the rescues.
The Watch for Motorcycles is because my dad was killed in a motorcycle accident by someone who didn't see him 4 years ago this week.

Some people do tattoos. I do the stickers.

Plati

Reaction score
I was curious about the light & the law also, so I looked up the NYS VAT Law and the only thing I could find was this regarding brake lights. I might have missed something & I was surprised not to find anything about the top center light, or running lights. I have been dinged at inspections for that light being out, so ????

(b) Every motor vehicle, except a motorcycle, operated or driven upon the public highways of the state, if manufactured on or after January first, nineteen hundred fifty-two, shall be equipped with at least two stop lamps, one on each side, each of which shall display a red to amber light visible at least five hundred feet from the rear of the vehicle when the brake of such vehicle is applied.

DF5 -- I've been out working at Payne Beach Rd past couple weeks. Lake sure is nice out there ... going past Long Pond, Braddocks, nice area. When the lake stays where it belongs!

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks great. I painted my CMHSL as well, but left the 1x5 inch strip or so that the light actually emits thru. The bulk of the red housing stands out like a sore thumb on a black roof.

crector080862

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the light is dimmed. I probably could have gotten away with 1 coat of tint instead of 2.

The stickers on the window are me, not Ford.
Lake Placid is probably one of my favorite places to go.
I've been a Doctor Who fan since I started watching it in the 70s.
I have a rescue Boarder Collie.
By the way if anyone is looking for a dog check out the rescues.
The Watch for Motorcycles is because my dad was killed in a motorcycle accident by someone who didn't see him 4 years ago this week.

Some people do tattoos. I do the stickers.
I know I'm just being nitpicky here and bringing out of the obvious I get debadging a vehicle it does make it look a lot cleaner but you said you're stickers are not for Ford there for you are you mad at Ford and it still says Ford Expedition on the back of it LOL I'm just giving you a hard time and I'm sorry for your father's death while riding a bike I am myself a biker

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The violation in New York would be "absent static brake light". If a brake light is not visible when not illuminated you can be cited for this. However, you'd eventually prevail in fighting it because the third, middle brake lamp is not required. This is cited in case law, not in the VTL.

In an annual NYS safety inspection, all brake lamps provided by the manufacturer must be in operable condition, whether or not it is required by the NYS law. So even one bulb burned out in a three-bulb center array could fail inspection.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really don't care if its a violation of law or not

Its a violation of my common sense to black out any lights on the back of my vehicle. If anything I would add more