Cleaning the throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHSC

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me if I can or cannot clean the throttle body and the the best way to do so? I bought a can of throttle boby cleaner, took apart the intake, and found the sticker on top of the throttle body that says "not" to clean it because it is coated with a sludge resistant material designed to protect the bore and throttle plate. My Haynes repair manual says the same thing. I have read numerous times on this site guys saying that they cleaned their throttle body. Just wondering if I should go ahead and spray the cleaner in there anyway or what? Also, should I open the butterfly and spray beyond it? Should I wipe it out with a rag? It's pretty dirty in there. Thanks for the help.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just tossing in my 2 cents

I have cleaned mine at least twice. I use carb cleaner, lint free rags, and a nylon brush (never use a metal brush or steel wool). An old tooth brush works well. Make sure to clean the back side of the plate. Try holding the plate open with a screwdriver large enough not to slide down past the throttle body. I remove the throttle body sometimes to clean it but you really dont need to. Only spray areas you can reach with a clean rag.

I would also consider cleaning your Maf sensor with contact cleaner. just spray it and let in dry.

Last thing i would do is Seaform it. Follow this link.
http://expeditionforum.com/showthread.php?t=7500&highlight=seafoam

ok so maybe i gave you 5 cents here.

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The problem with useing carb cleaner there is a coating in the tb that will come off find a tb cleaner that is safe for the tb

Rockunlimited2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stealership has foamimg TB cleaner made for your TB I would do that. And the seafoam in the vac tube off the master cyl after a week or so. Then the following week toss in a can of seafoam in the tank. Do that once per year and it will be more than good.

Last edited:

Titus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used Engine Degreaser and some wire brushes. Just cleaned it the other day, ran fine. Took a few hours and some muscle to get it cleaned, but looks great now! Be careful when removing the TB though, that oval oring I read tends to crack. Finding it online is a pain, so if it does crack, autozone is your best bet $2.60 mine cost me. Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1