Cleaning under the hood

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't get anything electrical wet, especially the COPs if you have a 5.4

I recommend wiping things down with towels & diluted simple green. It's a bear the first time you do it, but once it's clean it's easy to maintain it by wiping it clean every week.

G

I use a spray product used "GUNK" any auto parts store carrys it. Spray it on at the car wash with the spray wands, use low pressure and rinse it clean

toocivil

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your going to clean your engine simple green works really well. One benifit is it does not have the fuel smell that gunk is known to have. There are off brand versions of the simple green that work well also. Try not to get the electrical stuff wet. Spray the simple green on the engine and let it soak a while. Then rinse down the engine, with low pressure water. A shower type sprayer works well. Let the engine air dry a little and then wipe up any excess water.

Blkexpo71

Reaction score
When I was in the Air Force we ran some tests on cleaners and it was discovered that Simple Green was corrosive. Use spareingly and make sure you completely remove excess simple green.

pronstar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by chuck s
Simple Green will eat aluminum. Don't use on anything you care about. Gotta be lots of aluminum under the hood.

-- Chuck

Yikes...I hadn't heard that.
I dilute it to about 1 part SG, 3 parts water.
I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

wittom

Reaction score
I have read countless times of people who had issues after washing the engine bay. I think that water can get in the spark plug wells and create different issues.

Being that I've read several times, for several years, that people have had problems after washing the engine I think the general consensus is that it's not a good idea.

Maybe steam cleaning?

There you have my $.02.