Clearing an ABS light.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go to an autoparts store and see if they will read the codes then ask them to clear it. Some parts stores offer it as a free service.

FYI - the hydraulic system is mostly a closed system. Shouldn't be "losing" brake fluid. See if you have a leak at the calipers, hoses/lines and master cylinder. As brake pads wear, the pistons in the calipers will protrude more lowering the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's possible the fluid level has nothing to do with the ABS light. When the light is on, the system automatically has disabled itself for one reason or another. Usually the red brake light signals very low fluid. I would have the ABS codes pulled

jlo82585

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ABS light is totally separate from your fluid level. you have a problem with your ABS. likely a bad wheel sensor but the above post is correct. you need to read your ABS codes. In my experience a bad ABS module feels like your brakes are not working until your ABS light turns on ( showing the ABS system has turned off ) then your brakes feel like a vehicle without ABS..

OP
OP
Erich Zeppelin

Erich Zeppelin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know that the ABS light was off, came on, added brake fluid ( leak at left front caliper ) my question is, how do I reset the ABS light? Can I do it myself or do I need to take it to a shop?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
you need to have the codes read with a code reader that also reads ABS codes
Some code readers are able to read ABS codes and some don't
and then have it reset

You should be able to do it yourself

srs7324

Reaction score
ABS Light

My ABS light has come on 2 times in the 10 years.
Both times I had a bad ABS sensor causing the issue.
It can be located on the very top middle of the rear axle housing.
There is 1 bolt holding it in place, remove the bolt , it will take a little effort, but pull upwards on the sensor and it will pop out.
Unhook the sensor cable reinstall the new ABS sensor in reverse order.

Depending on your lift you may need to jack the rear of the truck up a bit it or you may not.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
don't forget to mention that there are also two other sensors in addition to the one in the rear Just telling someone to change the one in the rear can be misleading

Best bet is to have the codes read and then change the one that is needed

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks for the update Glad you got it fixed

Sometimes the rear sensor will show a fault and if you pull the sensor and clean it and then reinstall, the fault will clear itself.