clunk only after coasting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99EB4x4

Reaction score
If i suddenly hit there is a pronounced clunk in my expedition. It only happens after coasting at highway. Speeds and i suddenly goose the throttle (only pushing the throttle 1/4 down but not easing into it at all) could this still be u joints even though it does not happen from reverse to drive or take-off? On a side note my front shaft is currently out and has been since
winter

OP
OP

99EB4x4

Reaction score
It feels/sounds like its coming from the transfer case or rear axel. The front shaft is removed because my transfercase motor stopped working at the end of winter. It got stuck in 4hi and was binding on turns after fooling with it for an hour i managed to get it to return auto 4 wheel (no 2 hi on mine) then i removed the shaft

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's possible its the U-joints. Its also possible its the pinion shaft bearing having worn out. You have to crawl under it and see where its loose. Usually grabbing the drive shaft and twisting it will show you where. Or just take and replace all the U-joints and if the noise persists it has to be elsewhere. It could even be in the rear differential. But take it a step at a time and don't jump to the worst case scenario.

StuntMan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When was the last time you changed the Diff oil? I would change that first then see if the issue still continues.

Last edited: