Code P2106 & P2135 Truck Died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
Hey guys the truck died on the side of the road the other day. I got to the side of the road, started it back up, drove for about 10 seconds and then it died again and wouldn't start.

I waited about 15 minutes, then the truck started back up and I drove it 15 minutes home and it seemed to run fine with the engine light on. Haven't driven it since, just pulled the codes because I don't want to get stranded.

The codes it pulled: P2106(Throttle Actuator Control System)
P2135(Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch)

What would cause this? Ideas?

Thanks in advance

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should check fuel pressure first. Usually its a failing fuel pump or/and dirty fuel filter.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really?
How would low fuel pressure generate incorrect signals from the throttle control system?

Your Expy has an electronic throttle from the codes you posted. In laymen terms the engine computer (pcm) has a range of values that the throttle works within. That is how the pcm knows how far you have depressed the pedal. It is receiving incorrect values or no values so it can't determine where the pedal position is.
Another possibility is that the stop for the lower limit of travel is worn allowing the pedal to travel more - usually.

Whatever the problem you can expect to replace the throttle control.

More info:
https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...ol-system-forced-limited-power-by-jay-safford

https://www.yourmechanic.com/articl...itch-a-b-voltage-correlation-by-blake-griffin

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Strongly suggest you listen to stamp11127

VERY Strongly suggest you disregard advice from post # 2 as it does not apply to your problem

Also it is always nice to know the year of your expy when asking for help

The following was copied from the 2006 Ford Expedition Service Manual

P2106 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Forced Limited Power
Description: The TAC system is in the failure mode effects management (FMEM) mode of forced limited power. This DTC indicates the FMEM action is in effect due to a concern in an electronic throttle control (ETC) related component or module.
Possible Causes:
  • Unplugged motor, circuits short to voltage
  • TAC motor open, unplugged motor, circuits short to voltage
  • TAC motor stuck open or closed
  • Mass air flow (MAF) sensor concern
  • Throttle position (TP) sensor concern
  • Module communications network concerns
  • Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor concern (vehicles with an EGR system module [ESM])
  • Output shaft speed (OSS) sensor concern (Crown Victoria, Expedition, Explorer 4.0L, F-150 5.4L, Grand Marquis, LS, Mark LT, Mountaineer 4.0L, Mustang 4.6L automatic, Town Car)
  • Turbine shaft speed (TSS) sensor concern (Crown Victoria, Expedition, Explorer 4.0L, F-150 5.4L, Grand Marquis, LS, Mark LT, Mountaineer 4.0L, Mustang 4.6L automatic, Town Car)
  • Anti-lock brake system (ABS) concern (Crown Victoria, Expedition, Explorer 4.0L, F-150 5.4L, Grand Marquis, LS, Mark LT, Mountaineer 4.0L, Mustang 4.6L automatic, Town Car)
  • Transfer case mechanical concern (Expedition, Explorer 4.0L, F-150 5.4L, Mark LT, Mountaineer 4.0L)
Diagnostic Aids: This DTC is informational only and it may be accompanied by other DTCs. Diagnose other DTCs first.
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All GO to Pinpoint Test QE .

P2135 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A/B Voltage Correlation
Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) flagged a concern indicating that throttle position (TP) 1 and TP2 disagree, or that TP1 should not be in the present position given the position of TP2 unless a concern is present.
Possible Causes:
  • TP sensor shorted internally to VREF
  • TP sensor harness is shorted to voltage
  • TP sensor signal wires are shorted together
  • Damaged TP sensor
Diagnostic Aids: Compare the TP1 and TP2 PID values for a full sweep and correlation. Refer to the chart in pinpoint test DV. GO to Pinpoint Test DV .
Compare TP1 and TP2 PID values to the typical reference values in Section 6, Typical Diagnostic Reference Values .
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory
All GO to Pinpoint Test DV .

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys, it is a 2006 Expedition Limited, sorry for not providing that.

What about the Fuel Pump Driver Module too? I have read people having similar experiences because the FPDM was so corroded.

Thoughts?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First step would be to diagnose p2135 and correct, clear codes and test. See the part about testing tp1 & tp2 pid values in the reply above.

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies and PMs.

I brought it to the dealer because of the lack of tools I have and they said to replace the entire throttle body.

They warned me that when just replacing one sensor, they get around a 50% return rate for the other sensor or the throttle body going bad as well and they end up replacing the whole throttle body anyway.

That being said would you guys suggest buying Ford throttle body only or are there some good aftermarket one you have had experience with? Thanks

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Of course the dealer is going to suggest to replace the complete Throttle Body More money in his pocket and less in yours.