code retrival without scanner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gears351

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I thought when I joined this site I read a thread that was titled something like "things you didn't know about your expedition" and in it I thought I read how you could press the right combination of buttons on the dash to get the check engine codes in the green dot matrix display between the tach & speedo.

Anyhow, now I can't find it and I'd like to know if this is true before I buy a scanner?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I cannot say if it is true or not, but stop by your local O'reilly, Autozone, NAPA, pretty much any parts store. They all have a scanner that they will let you use for free. That is how I get my codes read.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you happen to have an Android phone with Bluetooth by any chance?

I am sure it would work with an apple device as well, I just can't speak to that. But my android had several free apps available.

If so, google "bluetooth obd scanner". I picked one up for under $20 delivered to my door and it works like a charm; reads stored codes, displays real time values from the system, and clears codes...

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the process you are thinking of is the DTC retrieval process for errors with the radio and climate control system.

I do not know of any way to get the codes from the system without a scanner of some kind.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
This is the thread you are referring to and specifically post # 5?!

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f39/hidden-cool-features-about-our-expeditions-19070/#post150023

I tried it and it works but I had no CEL or stored codes so cannot confirm if it will display codes related to the CEL. Its not clear if its just related to the instrument cluster or any DTC's.

If you have an CEL maybe you can let us know if it works? :)

But as FordandPolaris said you can try your local autoparts store as most will scan for free hoping to sell you parts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gears351

Reaction score
Yeah, my local parts stores have that - I just haven't had the best luck with competence... Also by the time I can get out to it it's typically 7pm on a Sunday.

Tom, thanks for the link to that post - I couldn't find it to save my life.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
My Jeep does that.... Most Dodge and Chryslers. It's a great option. Every vehicle should do it.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Yeah, my local parts stores have that - I just haven't had the best luck with competence... Also by the time I can get out to it it's typically 7pm on a Sunday.

Tom, thanks for the link to that post - I couldn't find it to save my life.

Ask for the alpha numeric code and post here. Don't let them tell you it says you need such and such.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One word of caution on AutoZone, Advance, etc. code readers - check the wiring harness before you let someone plug it into your OBDII port. I had a guy try to read the code and then go, "Huh. It's not communicating." I looked when he pulled the harness, and it looked like a rat had been chewing it. Turns out, it had shorted out my OBDII port and blown multiple fuses! I prefer to operate the code reader myself since then!

igneous

Reaction score
I did my own to check wife's car. Just go to ebay and search "elm327" and you'll find over a thousand bluetooth, wifi and hardwired units that work with smart phone apps or plug into laptop. I got the laptop type from an American company (hate buying anything online from overseas). Once you get one of these you just need a software program on your phone or pc to get DTC codes and other useful info.

I use EasyOBD2, and there is a free version you can download and test before buying full updated version that's only about $20. I have an iphone and very limited apps for OBD2. Very convenient to have this setup at home instead of relying on parts house *********.