Color of RTV sealant??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

harleyguy27

Reaction score
I replaced my Diff fluid and cleaned the cover up really well. I went to the auto part store and bought some RED hi temp RTV sealant to use on the cover. Is that going to be a problem? Will the 75W-140 gear oil eat through the RED sealant or was it ok to use that color?

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
shouldn't be, and sure you let it get tacky prior to final torque on the bolts & adding fluid?

was it non-permanent and flexible.

Not sure what year/diff you have, but did you add the friction modifer if you have the limited slip?

OP
OP
H

harleyguy27

Reaction score
Yes I made sure to wait about an hour with the bolts just hand tight and then I torqued them down on the Diff. I put a generous amount as to ensure sealant all the way around the cover. My truck is an '02 5.4 liter XLT with 135K miles. I believe it has the 8.8 rear end but will have to double check for ya.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Harleyguy, should be fine, but if you pull the cover off in the future, see if you can find the black RTV that is specifically designed to withstand oils and greases. It will handle the heat of the rear end.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt