Confused on motor year

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

egossett

Reaction score
Ok so here is the deal. I bought a 2000 4.6 XLT. It looks to have several oil leaks so I figured I would start at the top and work my way down. I came across an issue with the valve cover gasket. I go and get the gasket for a 2000. Keep in mind the tag on the box from felpro states its good for 96-03 4.6/ All vin codes. I pull it out and it has the grommets built in. But my truck built in 10-99 doesnt have them built in. I ended up having to get a gasket from a 2001 4.6 and that turned out to be the correct one. Has anyone come across this before? I thought that maybe someone had replaced the motor but the bar code on the valve cover said 10-99 also. Just confused me a bit. Any info on this. Trying to get an idea of possibilities before I start buying more incorrect parts.

Jiggers

Reaction score
They put two different 4.6 liters in those years. One is a "ROMEO" which is designated by a "W" in your VIN NUMBER, and the other is a "WINDSOR" which is designated by a "6" in your VIN. Engine code is the 8th digit in the VIN.