Console shifter hole/gap cover thingie.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my '15, the piece that covers the shifter gap has completely rotted away. I have a suspicion that a cleaning chemical was used on it that caused it to dry out and just crumble to pieces. Regardless, any clue what this is called and were it can be purchased? I'm pretty sure I can fix it myself without paying exorbitant dealership prices but "shifter gap cover thingie" doesn't return a lot of hits.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4.

A while back, there was a post on this forum about the piece you wrote about. I do NOT have the link. Perhaps you can do a search.

Why don't you go to the Ford dealer, have them look-up the part and order it? I think the part is called a trim bezel.

If I recall, the piece is also attached to the chrome rectangular ring that is around it. The other post stated to use caution when prying up the chrome ring, as it is fragile and can break easily.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That may require a trip to the dealer to go over the exploded diagrams or try searching online for the console area parts diagram. Good luck! Don't drop your keys down there!!

OP
OP
B

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the heck it was cleaned with lol. Did they detail your interior with Hydrochloric Acid?

OP
OP
B

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IDK as we bought it used but it was mentioned this might be an issue? I just know it crumbled like broken tempered glass.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hm that’s strange I think you would be correct in that someone probably used or spilled a chemical on it. I’ve never heard of it being an issue.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is actually the same way. Little chunks have fallen off it where the shifter makes contact, to the point that the orange gear indicator no longer shows the correct gear. I honestly hadn't considered replacing it because the indicator is redundant anyway, but for $15, might be worth it.

OP
OP
B

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is actually the same way. Little chunks have fallen off it where the shifter makes contact, to the point that the orange gear indicator no longer shows the correct gear. I honestly hadn't considered replacing it because the indicator is redundant anyway, but for $15, might be worth it.

It was $23.58 shipped...to my house anyway.