Console shifter hole/gap cover thingie.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if someone could make a Leather Boot that snaps into the chrome trim like you see on some sportier models.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wonder if someone could make a Leather Boot that snaps into the chrome trim like you see on some sportier models.
i see a challenge ...i need to look at what i have around the house. I do have a very nice black leather jacket that is to small for me, maybe use the arm???

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see a challenge ...i need to look at what i have around the house. I do have a very nice black leather jacket that is to small for me, maybe use the arm???
I've looked around and I've seen some companies that would make one but I don't recall who it was right now. I looked at it a couple of months ago.

OP
OP
B

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used this video to get an understanding of how the center console worked on my 2015 but it's not exactly the same.

I didn't need to take my console all the way apart. Basically my steps were:
1. Remove the top center tray and remove the 7mm bolt.
2. Gently pry off the whole top piece of the console cover. It's just held on with clips and this is different than the video. The trim around the shifter just comes off with it so no need to pry and take a chance of breaking it.
3. Pry off the shifter covers like in the video. You think they wont come off but they will. Just keep working it.
4. Remove the two T20 bolts that hold the knob to the shifter handle. It just slides like in the video but not all the way off.
4. The shifter cover is held down with 4 plastic tabs. Since you're replacing the whole piece it doesn't really matter if they break.
5. Undo all the electrical clips under the cover. There are 3.
6. Slide everything off.
7. Put the new shifter cover on and position the shifter handle through the hole. Reconnect all the clips.
8. Put everything back together in reverse order.

It took about an hour since I was going slow and it looks great. $24 well spent.

While I was there I removed the middle row center seat and made two Captains chairs so the Grandkids can get in 3rd row easier. Just throw a nice, thick floor mat over the holes and it looks good. Even my wife was pleased. We'll see if it passes the kid test but it's so much easier to clean the floor now, too.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used this video to get an understanding of how the center console worked on my 2015 but it's not exactly the same.

I didn't need to take my console all the way apart. Basically my steps were:
1. Remove the top center tray and remove the 7mm bolt.
2. Gently pry off the whole top piece of the console cover. It's just held on with clips and this is different that the video. The trim around the shifter just comes off with it so no need to pry and take a chance of breaking it.
3. Pry off the shifter covers like in the video. You think they wont come off but they will. Just keep working it.
4. Remove the two T20 bolts that hold the knob to the shifter handle. It just slides like in the video but not all the way off.
4. The shifter cover is held down with 4 plastic tabs. Since you're replacing the whole piece it doesn't really matter if they break.
5. Undo all the electrical clips under the cover. They're are 3.
6. Slide everything off.
7. Put the new shifter cover on and position the shifter handle through the hole. Reconnect all the clips.
8. Put everything back together in reverse order.

It took about an hour since I was going slow and it looks great. $24 well spent.

While I was there I removed the middle row center seat and made two Captains chairs so the Grandkids can get in 3rd row easier. Just throw a nice, thick floor mat over the holes and it looks good. Even my wife was pleased. We'll see if it passes the kid test but it's so much easier to clean the floor now, too.
Thanks Barjrob. I wondered how to take apart the center console. I'm thinking about replacing those two light bulbs with LEDs.

ads245

Full Access Members
Reaction score
@Barjrob1972 thanks replying back with how your install went. All too often, the OP doesn't wrap up his post. On another note, the Husky/WeatherTech third row liner perfectly covers that middle area when the middle bench seat is removed from the second row. You just have to choose the "Captain Chair" option.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Barjrob1972 thanks replying back with how your install went. All too often, the OP doesn't wrap up his post. On another note, the Husky/WeatherTech third row liner perfectly covers that middle area when the middle bench seat is removed from the second row. You just have to choose the "Captain Chair" option.
The WeatherTech floor liner also has 3 row option for vehicles with captain's chairs. I have them in my 17 and they do a great job of covering the gap, particularly when paired with the second row floor liner.

OP
OP
B

Barjrob1972

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll check on the liners you guys are talking about. Right now I just got a plain welcome mat from WM, trimmed it a little to fit snugly and it works and looks great. My Grandson didn't even realize the middle jump seat was missing when I picked him up last night until I said something.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll check on the liners you guys are talking about. Right now I just got a plain welcome mat from WM, trimmed it a little to fit snugly and it works and looks great. My Grandson didn't even realize the middle jump seat was missing when I picked him up last night until I said something.
Here is the link to the WeatherTech site and the liners: http://www.weathertech.com/ford/201.../el-model/no/expedition-2nd-row/bucket-seats/

This is WeatherTech's overview picture:
443531_441072_441076.jpg

These are from my 2017
IMG_5889.JPG IMG_5880.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire