Converting turn signal to LED bulbs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

omegalita

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi

When converting the bulbs from the turnsignal to LEDs, the bulbs blink too fast. This is because an "error" is reported, because the LED bulbs do not require as much power as the original bulbs.
There are load independet relays on the market, and it prevents from a high flashing frequence.
Does anyone know which relay I need to order?

And btw: where is this relay? Under the dash near where the knees are?

Thank you and regards
Dani

Last edited:

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used the Tridon EP27 flasher from Amazon.

The flasher relay is located under the dash underneath the steering wheel. You basically have to lie down in the floorboard and look behind the dash with a flashlight to see it. It is located right next to another relay for the blower. They both are covered with a plastic cover that snaps off.

Best of.luck !

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What leds did you use? I am looking for some that will properly light the housing and still be bright enough in the day time.

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hey guys I have some quick questions. on converting to LED's is it the same manner. replacing the Tridon EP27 flasher and putting the LED bulbs? what about the 3rd braking light? whats the bulb number for that? does any one know if there is a package I can get to convert the Tail lights and the front blinker lights?

PLZ provide part #'s and websites I can get them at.

kyle_in_rure

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What leds did you use? I am looking for some that will properly light the housing and still be bright enough in the day time.

I used these for the front turn signals: JDM ASTAR AX-2835 Chipsets 3056 3156 3156 3157 LED Bulbs for Turn Signal,Amber Yellow https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJDI22E/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Ryd6ub09ABVBJ

They make the same version in red for the rear tail lights. I ended up putting the factor bulbs back in the brake lights because while the taillights were plenty bright, the brake lights weren't as intense as the factory bulbs.

Pretty sure the bulb number.for the third brake light is 912, at least for.the first gen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
omegalita

omegalita

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've converted with these bulbs in the front: 3157 3057 4157 Dual Color Switchback LED Bulbs For Turn Signal Light

In Switzerland it's a must to have position lights in white color. Normaly they put a little bulb in the headlight reflector, but i don't want to drill a hole for that in there. So the "Swithback" solution woul work for that.

I ended up putting the factor bulbs back in the brake lights because while the taillights were plenty bright, the brake lights weren't as intense as the factory bulbs.
That was exactly the reason, why i only converted the ones in the front.

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys I have some quick questions. on converting to LED's is it the same manner. replacing the Tridon EP27 flasher and putting the LED bulbs? what about the 3rd braking light? whats the bulb number for that? does any one know if there is a package I can get to convert the Tail lights and the front blinker lights?

Its an assembly from what I researched...www.Sylvania.com will give u EVERY bulb number to buy...I ONLY changed the flasher and was good to go

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I was buying them from ebay but the "china" bulbs weren't doing well...then I bought from a guy I know who deals oracle and hooked me up...not one problem since....so checkout Oracle and superbrightleds.com

AbelNavyvet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
6K Thank you for the info. I checked out Oracle and the prices are ok. when converting to LED what and what do you need to change out? The LED's are just plugged into the Stock wiring? For sure replacing the Tridon EP27 flasher is NEEDED right?

Alyusha

Reaction score
I just finished doing all my outside lights.

• Heres the tail lights I got, also from eBay… I had the same feelings about these as I did the headlights, but all in all I am happy. The socket did not sit as tight as I wanted, but I fixed it with new rubber O rings. I am not sure if the issue was with the assemblies, or my sockets. Pics at bottom

I ended up getting the front blinkers and rear blinkers / brake lights from Autozone for $19.99 a pair... I was impatient. I should have just gotten them from eBay, but I did not want to wait. Plus when I installed the clear tail light assemblies, a clear bulb ‘clearly’ won’t work for brake lights. Pics at bottom But they are 3157's. 3157Amber and 3157Red.

They are bright enough without being insane... If you want to go brighter, you can get more SMD's in them. But for me, this is perfect! I would recommend making sure you get bulbs with SMD’s on the side as it illuminates more of the assemblies. It also gives you a nice glow at night. Pics at bottom

On this Wiki page is info on SMD LED's and a chart that shows how bright they come. It may come in handy...

For the high mount brake light, I used 3 of the T10/168/192 LED lights. These bulbs are extremely bright, at least while in a clear housing. Maybe I need to get red ones. I honestly do not notice a difference in brightness compared to a regular bulb in the high mount light. In the end, I would like to replace the entire high mount assembly with a new, aftermarket LED one... But for some reason they are very expensive. Almost 2-3 times higher than a set of tail lights. :confused:

Of course putting in the LED's make your blinkers blink fast... I could not find a relay when I did it, so I just got 4 resistors to install on all 4 lights.. I have not received them yet, so I am dealing with looking extremely stupid with fast blinking lights. But I am going to look into that relay, since that is much easier then splicing into all the wires!

Here’s a few tips for replacing regular bulbs with LED bulbs for most 99 Ford Expedition XLT and similar trucks. I had a hard time finding any of the info I needed when doing it. If I found any at all…

• Some people have said that replacing ALL (both left and right brake light and the 3 bulbs in the high mount) of the brake lights with LEDs will cause the ABS light in the dash to come on. Probably due to the same reason the blinkers blink fast. There is a few ways around this... I DID NOT HAVE THIS ISSUE on mine! Maybe you will, maybe you won’t. Just throwing it out there.

• Auto LED bulbs only work 1 of 2 ways. I highly suggest that no matter where you put an LED light, test it BEFORE you put everything back together just to find you put it in wrong! If it isn't working, flip it. In my truck (again 99 Expedition XLT), I put the bulbs in, hit the hazard lights and if one was in wrong, all the interior lights blinked instead. Then I found which one was not blinking and rotated it.

• When it comes to LED SMD bulbs, pay attention to the #'s... 2835, 5050, 5630 etc etc . The #'s indicate the size of each SMD. A bulb with 5 3014 SMD's will produce less light then a bulb with 1 5730 SMD.

I have been in the process of changing the color of all the interior dash lights and speed cluster lights. I got sick of the dim green old look. However I could not find much info on doing this. So if you would like more info on this, let me know. But a few basics follow.

I had an extremely hard time finding the bulbs behind the A4WD/4H/4L knob, headlight switch cluster, (assuming) power windows arrow lights etc. If you ask ford about a burnt out light bulb in any of these and they say you have to replace the whole unit... Well that's not true. The bulb is called 'T4 Tall Neo Wedge' and they come in LED and they come in all sorts of colors. I ended up getting these ones from China... I know... But can’t beat $1.50 for 10 bulbs! Hopefully they work good, I guess I will find out if I ever get them!

• The 2 map light bulbs, the bulbs on the front drivers and passengers doors, the license plate bulbs, running board bulbs, high mount (3rd) brake lights and the bulb under the hood will all take a T10/168/192/194 LED bulb or incandescent bulb. Don't let the manuals fool you with all the fancy numbers and sizes. Just pick your color and put them in. (remember to test before putting back together!)

• The back celling lights (2 back passenger bulbs and the 1 cargo area bulb) are not the same as the rest, they are festoon bulbs, and I have not found the EXACT size, but 42mm see to fit and you can adjust the prongs that hold the bulbs to fit most bulbs. I replaced mine with these. They are extremely bright!

Here’s some pics in the attachments. These were all taken while the truck was OFF, so the lights would be a bit brighter. I have some pics of the interior lights all done also. Let me know if you want me to post.

Hope I had some helpful info!

Attachments

• Front blinker.jpg
    Front blinker.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Front HL and blinker.jpg
    Front HL and blinker.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 92
  • tail light off.jpg
    tail light off.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Tail light.jpg