Cooled seat annoyance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They're fun to experiment with. You can make a heat powered cell phone charger out of one. Just need a way to create a large temperature differential without destroying the TEC module in the process.

I have a backpacking camp stove from Biolite that uses a TEG to power its fan, a light for cooking and charge the onboard battery pack. I've had it a few years and its seen some rough conditions and still works great. They're resilient little devices. They seldom fail themselves, its virtually always a problem within the controlling circuit whether that is a temperature sensor, lack of flow, etc. If they go out of range temp wise its common to basically just shut down and let the fan bring it down to a safe level.

The IceProbe cooler I used to have on a Pico reef tank was a TEC. It worked for years running 24/7. Only catch was fan and heatsink would need to be periodically cleaned.

Being your problem has come and gone id venture to say the cooler itself is fine. Maybe the ducting like you think has failed? Maybe something in the CCSM? Its an overly complicated system unfortunately. No idea why ford has so much "control" in place. Apply power, it heats or cools, realitively simply.

What kind of outside temps are you dealing with? Peltier struggle to pull down temp of anything more than about 40 degrees below ambient and thats with a sizeable unit. I have no clue what wattage they use though. On the upper 90, high humidity days we had here for awhile this summer I did notice my seat would barely get cool when normally it'll freeze you out.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're fun to experiment with. You can make a heat powered cell phone charger out of one. Just need a way to create a large temperature differential without destroying the TEC module in the process.

I have a backpacking camp stove from Biolite that uses a TEG to power its fan, a light for cooking and charge the onboard battery pack. I've had it a few years and its seen some rough conditions and still works great. They're resilient little devices. They seldom fail themselves, its virtually always a problem within the controlling circuit whether that is a temperature sensor, lack of flow, etc. If they go out of range temp wise its common to basically just shut down and let the fan bring it down to a safe level.

The IceProbe cooler I used to have on a Pico reef tank was a TEC. It worked for years running 24/7. Only catch was fan and heatsink would need to be periodically cleaned.

Being your problem has come and gone id venture to say the cooler itself is fine. Maybe the ducting like you think has failed? Maybe something in the CCSM? Its an overly complicated system unfortunately. No idea why ford has so much "control" in place. Apply power, it heats or cools, realitively simply.

What kind of outside temps are you dealing with? Peltier struggle to pull down temp of anything more than about 40 degrees below ambient and thats with a sizeable unit. I have no clue what wattage they use though. On the upper 90, high humidity days we had here for awhile this summer I did notice my seat would barely get cool when normally it'll freeze you out.

It’s been pretty hot and humid lately, in the cooler weather we got this weekend I could feel the bottom getting colder after a few minutes. The back cools off even on the hottest days. Whether or not it’s worth it to take apart seat I’m deciding at this point. Leather is in good shape but I’d like to figure out what’s up with it at the same time. Collapsed duct seems plausible.

GeezingInVA

Reaction score
Lots of empathy for the OP. Our 2016's driver's seat cushion has only cooled randomly since the first time I tried it. Sometimes it cools, but most times not. The blower always runs, though, when the dash button is engaged. I've learned to live with it. I always figured there's probably nothing good that can result from a dealer removing a seat for inspection. :boxed: