Cost for a Second Key - 11 Expy XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wermad

Reaction score
Home depot programmed a key for $70. Better then the local dealer @ $150 + programming.

As for the remote fob, i got one broken and incorrect one from a navi. It didn't open the lift gate. Found the right p/n and got a couple of used ones on ebay for ~$40 each. Programming requires an og ford key and there's plenty of youtube vids and forums for the instructions.

I primarily use our 07 and i stuck w/ the copied key and have not had any issues. My wife carries the oem key just in case but I'm confident now the copied key is no concern.

I've read w/ two oem keys, you can easily program a 3rd and so on oem key's transponder and so it only needs to get cut (which is cheap at any key making place).

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

irod87

Reaction score
I sure wish the dealer would have had both keys! Makes me want to track down the last owner and see if they have it. It was a local car so chances aren't bad.

wermad

Reaction score
I purchased our truck locally as well, though the carfax said the car was from central and sourthern california (not San Diego where I live). So there was really no way to find the og owner(s) and the dealer was a small one dealing w/ luxury or semi-luxury vehicles (they had an 08 EL but w/ twice the mileage and we passed). This is pretty common regardless of the dealer/seller for used vehicles. Even my old Mazda 6 wagon, which was a corporate car and I got it from the local mazda dealership, only had one key. Unless you're looking to make a 3rd or 4th (or more) oem key, you can get a non-oem copy from the large hardware stores, key-shops, and most locksmiths. Programming takes ~10 minutes with the key/cut $10 and the programming $60 (homes depot). It don't hurt to ask if the local ford dealership can do one for your for under $100 out the door. The key does turn the ignition both ways and inserts into all key openings w/out any problems.

picture.jpg

Home Depot top-left & oem bottom right.

If you need the key fob: pn 3L7T15K601AB

Your car has to have central lock. The liftgate and glass are optional but the fob is correct for 3rd gen Expy's.

mks8882

Reaction score
As you suspected earlier, you can only add additional keys if you have two working keys to begin with.

2 options for OP: dealer programming & cloning.

A PATS key has a unique RF ID signature. Buy a new key at the dealership and the dealer programs the vehicle to allow the new key's RF ID. My 2008 Expedition can have a maximum of 8 uniquely coded keys (but only 6 remote fobs, go figure). Benefit here is if you lose or have a key stolen, the dealer can remove it from the security module & that lost key won't be able to start the vehicle. For the key and programming, expect to spend upwards of $150 - $200. Get it done during an oil change or other routine maintenance and likely you'll pay less.

Cloning is just that. You have only one key, a Locksmith captures its RF ID and clones additional new keys to mimic that RF ID. You can have an endless number of cloned keys. Pros and cons to both.

Remote control costs vary - Depends on remote start or not, power liftgate or not - which remote you need determines cost - 3, 4, or 5 buttons, remote integrated into key head or a separate FOB. With a keypad on the door, do you really need another remote just to go with the spare key?

I'd personally avoid the ebay/amazon cheap keys and remote fobs due to the huge amount of Chinese knock-offs. I have a Chinese ebay remote that has about a 3 foot range with a new battery. My OEM Motorcraft remote works from inside my pocket from 25 feet away.

I agree with this ^^^

If you have two keys, I would highly recommend buying another and programming yourself a third. Then if you ever lose one, you can make another...up to the limit of course. The downside is the lost ones will still work, but what are the chances someone will find it and know it's to your truck?

We lost the spare to my wife's focus and I ended up buying the unit below. It worked to program another key, but died afterwards while looking through the menu to see if it would work on a different vehicle. I think you can even use it to delete lost keys. Check my review, same username.
CK-100 Programmer

46L281GT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the best choice is to buy an OBDII adapter and install ForScan and program the keys yourself. I bought a set for my truck and mustang (both only had one key) off amazon and programmed them in my driveway. It uses the same system that ford uses. Now I have 3 keys for each vehicle and it was about 6 bucks a keys. $24 for all 4.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986