Could the transfer case cause a no gear situation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
fourty03

fourty03

Reaction score
It's the transfer case... I had the truck up in the air and I dropped the trans pan and took the valve body out to inspect accumulator springs and shift valves.

I did find my 1-2 shift valve getting hung up inside the bore.. I fixed it and placed the valve body back in and 8 - 9 quarts of Mercon.

I tested the solenoid pack as well and checked the resistance on each one which fell in spec ohms..

I then put the truck back onto the ground. All week it's been up in the air and troubleshooting made it seemed it was the trans. I kept second guessing myself because I had no metal on the magnet inside the trans... The valve body didn't have problems.. the fluid coming out was dark cherry red (old) and smelled like new...

Until...

I then unplugged the transmission harness to force it into limp mode and check to see if I got gear 2 and 4... I did ... All checked out ok. By this time (and a few drives around the block) My transfer case is making a loud whining noise..

As I turned my last corner, the truck went neutral on me. This time I have nothing and it grinded as I tried placing it back into park once I coasted to the side of the road (sounds familiar from my first post?)

I've been doing too much research into this problem and was going to blame the trans. I was prepared to pull a used one out tomorrow until this happened today.
I placed the transfer case in 4hi manually and I regained my upshifts and got her home.

**Added:
I have no 2wd output - just the two front wheels. When transfer case is in 2wd, I get no movement the the rear wheels and any gear, and it grinds in park... In 4hi mode, I can move the truck via the front wheels.

Transfer case, right?

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, this was in depth! Thank you for writing it down. Someone will benefit from this in the future. Yes it does sound like the transfer case is shot.