Gear Ratios

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Junkyard Jack

Reaction score
So I was pulling a 8x16 enclosed trailer and first off the truck really didn't seem to like that haha but this got me thinking. I have 33s on my truck now and it seems to now be searching for gear. The truck would kick down back to 3rd with the slightest head wind. I feel like if I had a few more RPMs in the truck it would be much better. I have 3.73s now and what I want to know, hopefully guys that have regeared can chime in, is a 4.10 gear worth the effort? I feel like it would give me the smallest bump in RPMs and keep me more in the power when trying to do 55-60 with a large trailer. I feel like a 4.56 would be too big of a jump but if I'm wrong let me know! I think I see a 4.30 gear for the 9.75 rear end so I wonder if I could get one in the 8.8 as well?

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've not regeared my expedition. I should especially with 37's so I'm only comparing towing an expedition with 3.73's and my f150 7700 with 4.10's on 35's.

Night and day difference.

Like the Triton will still get bogged down if you go heavy enough that's just the powerplant. But with a full 6.5' box of lumber, and a three horse trailer filled to chest height with more.

Would not have attempted that with the expedition. The truck with 4.10's while not traveling at any great speed over the speed limit never missed a beat from flat to uphill.

That said you can go up to 37's with 4.10's and be fine.

IMG_20210910_180924.jpg

4.10's, 37's and a 5" lift, very overloaded bed and a travel trailer. Lil Triton screaming up the steep forest service roads. Felt bad for her a bit, but never missed a beat.

OP
OP
J

Junkyard Jack

Reaction score
That's awesome info man I appreciate it. I feel like the 4.10s will give me just enough RPMs to be able to tow the stuff that I tow over mostly flat ground and it not feel like its hunting for gear. I feel like 4.10s is the move with 33s.

SnuffThePunkz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're gonna do it, hunt for a f150 7700 or f250 LD and just steal the front axle. Can save the money on regearing, when odds are the axle is still fine And nobody else is looking for one

Haven't seen as many 4.10 Expedition's in my travels and I've looked. But that's only in Western Canada.

JerryT

Reaction score
So I was pulling a 8x16 enclosed trailer and first off the truck really didn't seem to like that haha but this got me thinking. I have 33s on my truck now and it seems to now be searching for gear. The truck would kick down back to 3rd with the slightest head wind. I feel like if I had a few more RPMs in the truck it would be much better. I have 3.73s now and what I want to know, hopefully guys that have regeared can chime in, is a 4.10 gear worth the effort? I feel like it would give me the smallest bump in RPMs and keep me more in the power when trying to do 55-60 with a large trailer. I feel like a 4.56 would be too big of a jump but if I'm wrong let me know! I think I see a 4.30 gear for the 9.75 rear end so I wonder if I could get one in the 8.8 as well?
You most likely already tried this but if not; turn off overdrive and / or turn to A4WD. Be safe.

Dimz

Reaction score
Yes, 410s will be good for 33s. No you can't just swap axles as 1 post claims in the front, u can swap diffs but why since u want non stock gears ... Anyways, if u plan on doing it u better start getting tools like a shop press and clamshell bearing puller and a whole lot of utube, if u want a shop to do both axles get 3-4k ready and hope they know wtf they're doing :).

Attachments

• IMG20230920163415.jpg
    IMG20230920163415.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 8