Courtesy Lights Don't work - Need help finding the problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MavrickMA

Reaction score
Hi all!

I recently ran into an issue where ALL of my interior courtesy lights do not work when you go to turn them on individually. They all come on with the keyless entry or when you open a door, but when you go to turn them on by themselves, such as the rear cargo light, it does not work. Truck is an '03 Expy XLT 4.6L

Lights included are: vanity mirror lamps (both sides), front map lights (both sides), second row map lights (both sides), rear cargo lamp and the Homelink buttons do not work either. All others work fine.

I did some troubleshooting and it seems that I do not have power at the lamp itself, but I do have power coming out of the fuse box (assuming I tested the correct wire and I think I did).

I did recently have an issue where I had A LOT of water underneath the passenger side floormat. I had to drain/soak up at least 1/2 inch of standing water in some places, one of which was the passenger side bottom door jam where the bundle of wires goes from the front of the truck to the back of the truck. Couldn't easily find any corroded wires. Not sure of this would do anything.

Basically what I'm looking for is some advise as to where to look for the cause of the issue. There's a lot of wire in this truck and any way to cut down my options so to speak would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MadTxn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Funny (or not), but I have the exact same problem on my 2004 EB. Although I attributed it to one of the items I've installed, although I'm not sure which one. At this point, I'm suspecting it might be the switch in the dash, although I have no basis for that and haven't been able to test it. Mine also will turn off if I hit the switch when they are on with the doors open.

OP
OP
M

MavrickMA

Reaction score
Originally posted by MadTxn
Funny (or not), but I have the exact same problem on my 2004 EB. Although I attributed it to one of the items I've installed, although I'm not sure which one. At this point, I'm suspecting it might be the switch in the dash, although I have no basis for that and haven't been able to test it. Mine also will turn off if I hit the switch when they are on with the doors open.

Same here. If your doors are open and the light is on, you go to turn that particular light on and it turns off!

What things have you installed? I've done a bunch of customization as well.

MadTxn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far, rear view camera, hard wired V1, Viper 5900, and a Pioneer Avic Z2. At some point I'm going to fiddle with the switch. My guess is that I pulled a wire.

OP
OP
M

MavrickMA

Reaction score
I've got a bunch of police equipment, aftermarket stereo w/ NAV and SUB, 8500 x50 hardwired, and HID lights. That's about it. And none of it touches the courtesy lights circuit (at least to my knowledge). Any body got any ideas where I could look for the cause of the problem?

OP
OP
M

MavrickMA

Reaction score
Originally posted by ELVATO
Maybe the switches themselves are bad?

Having bad switches on EVERY interior courtesy light seems pretty unlikely to me...

One or two bad switches I could see, but ALL of them? I just can't believe that.

Besides, I tested the feed and there's no power coming into the switch.

MadTxn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems odd that we would have the same problem and not have the same cause... I also did some wiring in the driver side A-pillar & C-pillar. Maybe something got pinched there?

OP
OP
M

MavrickMA

Reaction score
Originally posted by MadTxn
It seems odd that we would have the same problem and not have the same cause... I also did some wiring in the driver side A-pillar & C-pillar. Maybe something got pinched there?

I've got nothing in the driver's a-pillar, and nothing directly in the c-pillar, although I do have wires coming up from the floor and into the driver's side rear pocket (in the rear cargo area opposite the rear HVAC unit).

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm... that is weird. So they come on when the door is opened and when you unlock, right.

As far as I remember, there's three contacts to a switch light. My guess is a ground, a positive when the door is open, and a positive that's always on (this goes to the switch part.)

So I guess the constant on one isn't working.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire