COVER IT UP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a winter cover for my 13 Navigator. I live in Ct and the winters can be nasty.
Has anyone used a cover and can answer some questions and give a recommendation.

Are thy hard to take on and off?

Do the mark the paint?

Do they need to be breathable?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John,

Most are a pain in the @ss to put on and take off, particularly with a tall vehicle. You really need two people.

I've never experienced that with the cover that I used. You have to make sure the vehicle is clean.

If the vehicle is stored outside the cover needs to be waterproof. If you store it in a garage then you use a breathable cover.

I hope that helps.

OP
OP
J

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
John,

Most are a pain in the @ss to put on and take off, particularly with a tall vehicle. You really need two people.

I've never experienced that with the cover that I used. You have to make sure the vehicle is clean.

If the vehicle is stored outside the cover needs to be waterproof. If you store it in a garage then you use a breathable cover.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Andy, that's good information.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
When car covers are on the dust/dirt lands on them, even in garage. There may be dust/grit/dirt on vehicle when putting it on. I have seen people throw them in the trunk or lay on ground. Non breathable covers can trap moisture. Car covers are overkill and can do more harm than good. The "new" thing is clear wrapping. It is removable(so they say) clear coating that protects paint. It cost around $600. Maybe cheaper if only front clip and doors done.

Plati

Reaction score
My Expy's have all lived outdoors in NYS year round. My garage is full with woodworking equipment so in the driveway they live. I always thought garaging was not the best anyway in winter because they get coated in salt and ice when driving - then would have the opportunity to melt and sit (pickle) every night if garaged. IMHO they are built to take being outside it so it's fine. If they couldn't handle being outdoors ... that would be kinda crazy.

Having said that, I make sure I don't park long term under a tree or you get the sap drips on the body which is BAD! I also face the windshield away from the direct sunlight to prolong the life of the plastics inside the vehicle and/or add a windshield sun shade inside. Sunlight is powerful and can degrade materials long term. Unless you put a vehicle into some kind of deep sleep, its better to run it every couple weeks anyway isn't it? Run it and drive it long enough to heat everything up and make sure its lubed. Vehicles don't like to sit idle. What about the battery, it would go dead after a couple weeks wouldn't it? then freeze?

Any vehicle sitting outside with no cover, I brush the snow off when possible and let it melt / dry. Would not want a snow covering for too long

My nephew has an expensive boat and was dead set against storing outside in winter with any cover (other than the wrap which was $1000). He said a fabric cover will wear on the paint as it moves with the wind and that would not be good.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire