Crank t-bar vs. Leveling keys???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordMan13

Reaction score
Ok I worked in a 4X4 shop for over 8 years. I am about to buy an 2001 expedition. Of course it is in the blood and all I know is to modify everything I buy. Why does everyone on this site crank the hell out of their torsion bars?? I see that leveling keys are made for expeditions why not use them? Last time I checked the alignment is screwed after cranking on the t-bars. Yes it is 200.00 to buy keys vs. an air gun and about 10 minutes BUT 500.00 in tires being ate up is not a money saver for me. Just a question not trying to be a newbie no it all or make anyone mad.:confused:

2001Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think everyone does the crank because it's free and then you can pay like $80 for a new alignment, and be all set.

97_edition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think everyone does the crank because it's free and then you can pay like $80 for a new alignment, and be all set.

I was told by a 4x4 shop to make sure the place doing your new alignment does it "old School" , actually taking measurements and not letting a computer align your front end. The computers are programed to factory settings and with cranking the torsion bars and spacers your not factory any more.

Again, this is what I was told and by no means a mechanic. (I cranked my factory keys and put a 3" spacer in the rear and took it to an 18 wheeler garage to get the correct alignment.)

Another thing I have heard is you get a stiffer ride by cranking the torsion bars with factory keys. I don't notice a difference but am getting a "Banging" noise when hitting small bumps in the rear only. But I think that is my shocks needing replaced, factory 97 shocks. :( (trying to save up for them.)

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never needed to re-align any truck that I have cranked torsion bars on... my old 97 f150 had 38s and no problems... expy has keys but only reason was the torsion bars were removed for fabtech...

P1000977.jpg

sold but still in town and still only TT and the 38x15.5 are going on 4 years and no problems

and expy is going on 2 years... just my .02